First Time Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by jctiger, Nov 28, 2008.

1. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I want to try blackpowder this year.
    I can get 2 more weekends deer hunting:big_smile:.
    I have to go cheap though.They have one at
    Bass pro($150.00 Buckhorn).

Thoughts?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Who makes it? Don't know if i ever heard of it. I enjoy shooting them but they are a pain to clean and keep clean. I enjoy waiting for the smoke to drift to tell if the meats down or not.

3. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    Its made by CVA,50cal,209 ignition.
    I have never shot a blackpowder gun,
    but want to learn the ropes.
    It looks like this might be a good
    starter gun.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My CVA hunter bolt is very accurate. It shoots power belt bullets with 90 gr. of pyrodex the best. Read the instructions and then read them again.:wink: Make certain to grease the breech plug when you clean it, and always clean it after you've shot it if it's going to be an extended period of time before you shoot it again. Any form of black powder is very corrosive. The 209 primer system in my opinion is the best of the best. Good luck and be safe.

5. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    Thanks for the great info,it sounds like alot
    of work but can have big rewards.Plus it will
    get me some extra time in the woods:wink:.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have a CVA Buckhorn Magnum that will take up to 150 grns. of pyrodex or black powder by volume. That I won At a Company picnic a few years ago.
    It is a mighty fine rifle..:wink: Don't just think of it as a starter gun. It has options that you find on only the top of the line guns. You will be much better off to spend some time shooting that and getting used to what it is capable of than spending big bucks on some of the more expensive guns.
    If it is the Buckhorn Magnum it is capable of shooting a really good group out to 200yrds. which is about the limit of any of the big dollar guns. If you get used to shooting it it will serve you well for many years.
    I use the Pyrodex pellets and Power blt bullets in mine for the ease of loading.

7. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    Wow,sounds like a really good gun.Thanks
    fot the info Ken.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Mine came with fiber optic sights on it. I always site the open sights before I mount the scope. That way if I get caught out and the scope becomes fogged up I am not crippled just remove the scope. I can get along without a scope in my area if need be most shots are under 100 yds. but I love a small scope. Buy small I mean 1.5 to5x or 2x to 7x .