Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out on Friday for some cattin. It'll be my first time out on the Mississippi River, my GF has been hitting the river for years mainly around the Winfield pool. A friend of mine and his dad will be taking their boat out as well. Plans are to launch from the Piasa Creek boat ramp. From what I've heard and read, this ramp is a pretty shallow launch.

Anyone been there lately?

Probably going to fish over by the power plant for a bit and then move up river is my plan. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caught a few small ones, nothing to brag about. My GF caught a couple flatties around 2 pounds with worms. Had a fish break 20# test on her favorite metal pole. Never got it to the surface but it had the 2' metal pole bent over good. I'm thinking it could have been a pretty nice fish. Did some running the boat on the river to see how it would do. Pretty happy with it. Can see spending some time out there doing some fishing. Here are some pics.

New box anchor from stuff on the metal rack.
Wood Asphalt Automotive tire Floor Road surface

Wheel Tire Sky Boat Vehicle

Water Boat Plant Vehicle Lake

Water Sky Lake Outdoor recreation Fisherman

Cup holders were fabbed up. Needed some a bit different. Doubles a a small pole holder.
Water Lake Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Naval architecture Gas

Water Sky Fluid Natural landscape Lake

Completing our first time/day on the river.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I keep wanting to try one of those box anchors but never seem to get it done. If you used it in current, what did you think of it. Yours appears to be made of extremely thick material. What thickness is it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@twaskom I've had a few different anchors, none have held this well. I went to this site for Sizing a box anchor and used the info there. It could've been a touch smaller, but being in a river I thought it best to go with a decent size one. Mine is about 12 x 12 and weighs around 22#, made it from some 3/8" x 3 bar stock I had on the rack and some old strap hinges that were in a drawer. It gets to be a chore to haul it up from 40 ft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts