First Time Jugging

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by cantstopgrandma, Jun 15, 2009.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Went jugging for the first time saturday. Had a lot of fun. I put out 4 free floating jugs baited with minnows and went to my favorite honey hole. Only kept 3, and threw back probably 5 or 6. They were legal by the state's standards, but not enough meat on them little ones for my standards (them really skinny 12" channel cats just aint got much on 'em). Threw them back so they could grow up some.

I had a lot of hits, but not a lot of takers. What advice can you give a newbie jugger. What kind of hooks does everybody like? Thanks in advance.

2. simpsonese

simpsonese New Member

State:
    Missouri

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    How big of cats Could you get onto ? If your talking 15 to 30 inchers .5/0 or smaller in my opinion . I use circles . If your circles are to big I have found cats get eye hooked . Since your turning some loose the object is to do minimal damage to what your not keeping .Just my opinion seems to work for me .

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    In the planning stage, hope to put my jugs out soon!

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I caught anything from 10" to about 16" on saturday, but usually where I was fishing there is anything from babies up to about 20 or 24" with a 24" being fairly rare. I was using 1/0 J-hooks. I had bought some 2/0 circle hooks, but somehow forgot my line to snell them with. I didn't have any problem with the J hooks hurting the fish, but then again I've never had that problem with catfish. That may have something more to do with the size of the fish up here than anything. They just dont get that big in the river i fish. A 30" catfish is a monster here.

6. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    I like circle hooks.

Normally use 5/0 and up to 8/0 when I get the urge for bigger baits.

Q

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use number 8 circles,,,, with cut bait.

8. fishin magician

fishin magician New Member

State:
    nc
    I know i am going to spell this wrong but i prefer to use gamaska octupus circle hooks when i set my jugs i seldom have a fish to get off of those hooks.

9. eufaulacat

eufaulacat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use mustad live bait hooks 1/0 or 2/0 catch anything from 6 inch fish to 30 lb fish... the hooks have a short shank..when the fish pick up the bait the whole hook is in their mouth...good luck

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I started jugging in 1968 with my dad. He caught lots of big blues. 60+ lb blues. All he used back then was a 1/0 or 2/0 hook.no weight on the jug just the hook 3ft of line and bait.
    He also fished for a living using Trot lines. Never used anything other then a Number 1 jap light wire hook. On these lines and after starting to use them went with that on jugs also.
    We caught more fish then the ones using bigger hooks. AS with jugs you have to use a sharp hook. The thinner the wire the easer it is for the fish to catch there selfs.
    I plan on rigging up all my jugs in the weeks to come with 2/0 sickle hooks. Light wire sharpest hook your going to find. And catches fish.
    But a small circle hook in 2/0 or 3/0 also works.
    Best of luck.
    Pete

11. JohnK

JohnK New Member

State:
    ga
    What type of knot do you use to tie the 100 lb cord to a 3/0 circle hook? Do I need to go to a 4/0? Some say a #7 salt water hook has a bigger eye but I will still have a big ugly knot.

12. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    Take a look at the ones I use you can see them in my picture album. These hooks are very large, I use them to catch Flatheads. I have used smaller hooks in the past for channels with alot of luck.

13. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 5/0 O'shauggsey hooks lazer sharps. they have big eyes so its easy to use big line. i tie it about a foot or two up the line from my weight for less snags and just use like a overhand knot.