First time flathead catfishing.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Mathersm, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I am going flathead fishing for the first time this weekend. my stepdad works for the city of columbus wastewater treatment plant. He tells me about the big flatheads he sees where the warm water discharge is. I was wondering If anyone could give some advice. Like what bait to try and get ahold of. Also whether it would be smarter to fish bottom or use a float rig.

2. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I have never fished there before, but I would say, get you some bluegill, or some type of live bait and fish it on the bottom, with a slip sinker rig. Hope this helps. :cool:

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with Skippy. Try live baitfish such as bluegills,creek chubs,or goldfish. If you can get skipjack and shad, that would up your odds some also. If they dont hit the live bait ,just cut them up and try using the heads first. Good luck

4. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Well didn't have any luck. Tried live shad and gill and cut shad and gill. All my luck was with my castnet. I caught 7 smallies a bunch of shad, 1 at 13 inches, and one huge gill over 12 inches in length and weighed in at 1lb 2 ounces. Didn't get any bites and didn't see anyone else catch anything

5. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Sorry you did'nt have any luck Mathersm with the cat's.Thats a real nice Gill you netted there i sure would like to have about 20 of them to eat.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Thats why they call it fishing and not catching, I got skunked plenty of times this past summer. Best of luck to you in the future and hope you get that first flattie soon.

7. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I think we all get skunked from time to time. Hang in there I am sure you will get one. :)

8. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Wheather pending I hope to try my luck again this weekend.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Flathead can be real finicky at times. We've all had to holler uncle at one time or another and go home without a fish...sometimes without a bite. I've sat in front of my favorite rockpile below a dam on the river for 6 or 8 hours without a bite before...sometimes I end up closing well and getting three or four fish...sometimes I should have left a long time ago when it became evident that the fish aren't going to bite. It feels great to me to escape the stress of work and just be outdoors. Take time to enjoy it while you're there. Hang in there brother...if you soak a live bluegill long enough and often enough...the flats will eventually appear.

10. Alagnewcat

Alagnewcat New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    It only took one night with the clicker on my first Abu Garcia 6500 screamin to make me a fan of the flathead! After that plenty of empty net, they can't win every night, I catch most of mine early morning.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This was my first year getting into flathead fishing. Up untill this year, I've caught one, yes one, flathead in all my life. And this year a buddy of mine and I started getting a bit more serious and after I caught a 48 and 22 the same night...well, I know why people put in the hours now...and I'm putting mine in too!!! :D

12. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Like the other guys here have said, flathead are a tough fish to target. But that sounds like a nice place to catch one. Every time you go fishing you learn something new, wether you realize it at the time or not. Keep hitting that spot until you know everything there is to know about it. I caught my first flathead on accident and it took me 8 months to catch one on purpose after that. We can go weeks without catching fish. But there have been times when we go out and catch 5 flatheads over 40 pounds in one night. Just keep hittin the water and learning as much as possible. Eventually your gonna be in the right place at the right time. It takes a while on bodies of water to learn where the sweet spots are, but once you get it all figured out you'll be glad you put in all that work. Then you'll realize that all those times you spent not catching anything were all leading up to something afterall. :)