first time fishing at melvern lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by medford, Jan 28, 2009.

1. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    want to start fishing at melvern catfishing and crappie is it a decent lake to fish any area or thoughts:cool2:

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    For cats target the area the river dumps in to the lake along with going up the river. This is the area that I have had the best luck. As for Crappie I have not fished the lake much for them just the upper end of the river.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I cant say much about the fishin but there are some nice cabins in the State Park. There are also blues in the lake and they are getting to be of nice size, which is a plus. Im looking forward to fishin there myself.

4. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There are some really nice crappie fishing also Tom or n2fishn knows the lake very well like Kyle said some nice cabins also Kyle have new trolling motor battiers ready to go again.

5. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I am ready too Rick. Hoping to make it up there within a month or two.:wink:

6. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I have done well on the crappie but not so well on the flats there. Then again I have only chased cats there once. The only thing I dont care for about the crappie fishing is the 20 fish limit. I have limited out there in less then 30 minutes.

7. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I like to fish the upper end, once the ice goes off their should be a pretty decent shad kill up their and the blues and channels will be up their like crazy. Last year I did really well on both sides of the causeway and the fish will stay up their until they spawn and then up can catch them off the rocks up their too. I don't know much about the crappie but it is a really good lake to fish for crappie so I've heard.

8. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    What is the top size for the blue cats in Melvern now?

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Ive heard 20lbs but there may be a few bigger.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have heard of some mid to upper 30's being caught last year. Then the flats are in the upper 70's to upper 80's.

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Cody the 20 fish limit is why you can catch 20 keeper fish in 30min..!!

Before it was applied to these lakes around here people were taking 50-100-150 crappie per day.The lakes can not support that.

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Started fishing Melvern for crappie last year for the first time. Kind of a long haul for me but well worth it. In 3 trips there last spring we limited out all 3 times and had a 17" a 16" and 2 15" crappies. For not knowing squat about the lake we did great.I would say at least 3/4 of the fish we caught were legal.A lot of them were so fat they wouldn't fit in the measuring device. Caught some nice smallmouth and channel cats and white bass too.Find some brush piles on your depth sniffer throw out some marker bouys and you will do good.Wanna try the river pond for channel cats around the feeders too. I hear it's good.Just a few weeks ago I caught some nice channels at the outlet on jigs with dead minnows and shad.

13. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Tom, I understand the limit and I agree with limits. Maybe Melvern cant support a 50 fish limit. I just dont put Melvern on the top of my list for crappie. I catch a lot of 10" + fish at Melvern but I dont catch many short fish there. On the other hand I can go to Fall River or Toronto and catch 40 to 50 10" fish and 200 shorts on a good day. I shouldnt have knocked Melvern's 20 fish limit. Melvern might not have the short fish to replace the keepers. Melvern is just to far of a drive from Wichita for 20 fish.

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Melvern is a great lake.Nice crappie fishing yr round.I have caught limits where nothing was under 12".Can't do that on many lakes no manner what state your fishing.

Also some great walleye fishing to be had there.

Now we have the blue cats that are coming on strong, but has alwas been a good lake for BIG channel cats.

And some BIG flats in the river during the spawn.

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Cody back in the 80's and early 90's you could fish Pomona,Perry,Melvern and catch 100 crappie every day.There was not much pressure on them back then in the winter months.Then word got out on the winter time fishing and locators became the norm and everyone started fishing in the winter time on the lakes.

Back then there was no limits on Crappie's and we were taking them out by the boat loads.All the sudden the fish got smaller and smaller.

Then the state put a 50 fish limit on them and we started seeing some bigger fish again.But the pressure was on them from area states because their limits was a little tighter.They could make a drive to here and catch more fish to keep i one day than they could in three days in their home state.

Again the size got smaller and fewer fish was being caught.Then they put the 20 fish limit on Perry,Clinton and Melvern and again the fish are getting big again.

So I agree with you for a long drive it might not be worth it but if you go there you can for sure know you are going to catch some slabs..

16. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    I know where I will be if not tomorrow night, definately Saturday. The Channel under the bridge at Sundance (Melvern Lake) has open water....

Attached Files:

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    me & Lucky have done good at the spillway pond there. biggest was 9 1/2 lbs. good healthy channel and i was cast near the feeder and we was sittin by the restrooms that are on the side of the pond closest to the river.

18. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    I am going to try the outlet pond Saturday if the ice is off,,,the old creek channel on the north end is good this time of the year......

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Eric, I am up for a trip next time you go I will pay for the gas Just let me know I am really jones for some fishin.:smile2:

Plus we don't need beans for crappie:wink::roll_eyes:

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah , you need jigs !!! :smile2: