First Time Eating Snapper!

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Jun 27, 2009.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Well while fishing for catfish, I hooked what I thought was a log and worked it in. To my surprise it was a snapper! There aren't too many in the river that I was fishing, there are mainly softshell turtles. My friend knows how to clean turtles and actually knows what he is doing when he cooks them so I let him take it home to cook..So I will be tasting snapper soup for the first time in my life!

Attached Files:

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They're really good! I'm sure you'll like it.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I can't relly tell by the picture, but it sort of looks like an aligator snapping turtle. If so, they are on the rare species list.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Now that you mention it, that definitely isn't the softback snapper that we're used to here in Ohio. That has quite a broad head too, I'm going to have to say it's an alligator snapper too. :embarassed:

5. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    The snappers here aren't protected in any way. The New Mexico Department of Game & Fish has no bag limit on them. A Game Warden that is always where we are fishing, he saw us with the snapper and didn't say anything..Most of the snappers around here are released from people when they get them as babies.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    not a very big one. we used to catch them around 25 or 30 lbs and then cook em up. they are some good eating, if they are done right.

7. bigfoot914

bigfoot914 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Snapper tastes great as long as they cook it right.

8. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are no aligator snappers in New Mexico. Only common snapping turtles.

9. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc

Nope that's just a regular snapper.

John

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that's a good ol common snapping turtle.

11. kiowa

kiowa New Member

State:
    colorado
    whenever my wife and I are catfishing, we are always on the lookout for snappers. When one is spotted I quickly cast a bobber already setup with about a foot of line under it with a piece of cut bait. and hope he's ready for dinner. Really a great bonus If we hook on on a trip.Cut off the head, hang by the tail overnight to bleed, dress out in the am.(Always be sure to pick up the snapper bu the tail an one hind leg with the shell facing away from your body soIt can't reach around and get you. 15 lbs and larger can take off a finger easily) keep em away from curious kids cuz they are pretty quick in land.Batter and fry. A 15 pounder will yield a good 5 lbs of meat. Neck and legs are where the meat is. Makes me hungry talkin about it

12. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    I used to catch quite a few of these a trip and found them to be a neucence. Does anyone have a detailed way of cleaning them and also what are the different ways to cook them? If some one could help it would be greatly appreciated

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Look in the library, cats4uandme has a really good article on it, tells exactly how to do it

14. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    Turtle are one of my favorite food to eat but used to hard for me clean till learned how to you cut head head and run wan water through it neck the skin fills up with water than you use a hachet to cut off shell the nerves are :big_smile:killed so the turtlle doesnt kick much and skins easily i didnt believe it would till i did it for the first time today