FIRST TIME DRIFTING WHILE FISHING

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Went out today from GW with my dog Sissy( a jack russel ) Didnt know how she would do in the boat but she loved it. Any way I stayed in the far lake area and drifted with the wind. I have read almost every thread there was on drifting from this site and others. I finaly got to put Kutters rod holders that he gave me to use. After about 10 min into it two poles of the four I had out bent over. I was thinking this really works, after about another 20 min another bent and another and another. After just one drift across the lake i had 5 fish from 4 to 7 lb range. I realled them all in and started back to the other side for another go. The wind was starting to pick up a little blowing me way to quick to drift. I then got to deploy my homemade drift sock, slowed me down a great deal. I caught 2 more on the second pass.

So either I did everything right or Sissy brought me some good luck. Ill have to use this method on the Meramec, if i can controll the drift. I might need to make a second drift sock. For anybody who has not tried this method I highly reccomend it.:roll_eyes:

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Congrats.. sounds like you had areal good time.

3. story teller

story teller New Member

State:
    illinois
    OK I'M THAT GUY WHO ALWAYS ASK THE DUMB QUESTION............WHATS A DRIFT SOCK? AND HOW IS IT MADE?

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's a sock tied to a rope that slows the boat down. In the library you should be able to find instruction on how to make one from a 5 gallon bucket. I don't own one but they do work i know for a fact. Theres one gentleman here that deploys his going down the road:smile2::smile2::smile2: Looks like a funny car at the strip.

5. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    good job, drifting is my the best way to fish most lakes, as the water cools into the winter it dosent work near as well as in the summer time. i have a drift bucket and two small drift socks. i like the two small socks on my lund boat vs one big sock, because i can move them around the boat as needed to keep the boat on the line i want it. i think the more you drift the more you will like it.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Sounds like you had a good time and learned a new way to fish. I need to try that one of these days. Sounds like fun.

To

7. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    That's really cool Manny, congrats on the catch.

8. daveinstlmo

daveinstlmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    How do you rig your line when drift fishing?

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Last year was the first time I've drifted to catch cats too. Always thought you had to catch them from anchored boat or shore. A friend of mine showed me how to drift with blood bait and its' effectiveness. As long as the blood bait is firm and in good shape, you can drift for a long time with it and still catch fish. I was hooked the first time trying this technique and I'm a believer in drifting for catfish. Yes, a drift sock is beneficial in slowing your boat speed down on those windy days.

You can cover alot more water doing this and up the odds in catching more fish. A very good tournament strategy!!:cool2:

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The way I was showed was using no more than 12 lb test line (mono). A fast tip rod for drifting. Berkley Cat Maxx rod is excellent for this. Leader material. Cabelas' Spectra 30lb. test. Use about 2' of leader tied to a 2/0 treble hook. for blood bait, I use a thin flexible wire and make a hook on the end. Run the wire through the blood bait and attach the the hook on the loop of the leader. Pull the wire and line through the bait, up to the treble hook, take the wire off and attach the loop of the leader to the swivel and slowly lower the bait into the water. You can use a small weight for windy days or no weight at all. Let alot of line out. Maybe 100 to 150 yds or so. The trick is to have the bait slightly ticking the bottom. You can watch the rod tip and tell if it is doing this!

This can be effective using other baits too. Live or cutbait.:wink:

Hope this helps.
    Mark..

11. daveinstlmo

daveinstlmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks, I have drifted for trout a lot but never for cats but have been thinking about trying it this spring. I have some spots in mind on the Meramec if it gets up a little.

12. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Good stuff man, I'm glad it worked out for you.