First Time Bow Hunter, First Hunt, First Deer!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by pursuing_cats, Oct 22, 2006.

1. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I have always been a gun hunter but this year I tried a bow at the persistent nagging of Aftercats and Bmaultbay. I was hunting a harvested cornfield behind my house and managed to shoot a doe at 40 yards. I can say it was all luck since the experienced bow hunters say a 40 yard shot is not a typical shot. I feel blessed to be so lucky.
    I had been hunting the back corner of the field where the deer had been going into the woods. After allot of mistakes for a first timer I had a shot at a doe at the 10 yard range. I shot and hit high in the back and could not find her. I searched the whole area with no luck. Now that I was disaapointed about loosing her I headed back to the house. As I was approaching the back of my property I noticed a doe in the middle of the field. I eased my way down the easment and watched her. As I was standing there I noticed another doe coming at me with allot of curiousity. I set the stand on the ground and took a knee. She continued to watch me and at 40 yards I placed the 40 pin on her back and let the arrow fly. I thought I had missed until she ran about 35 yards and collapsed. The arrow had pierced both lungs and now she is in the freezer. Thanks go out to Bmaultbay and Aftercats for pushing me to pick up a bow. I am definetly hooked now. Good Luck to all of you this season.

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Congrats, but I don't think I would've tried it at that range. :smile2:

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats! I hope it's the first of many. I got busted yesterday. Right before dark I had three deer come 20 in front of the stand but behind a tree with a lot of leaves. I could hear them eating acorns but couldn't see them. When it was almost too dark to shoot, one came around into the logging road that was right behind my stand and turned broadside at 10 yards. It was looking away from me but just as I turned and started to shoot it saw me move and turned inside out getting out of there. I thought I was safe 25 feet up a tree but all I got was the sight of three tails going back up the mountain. So far this year it's deer 2, Willie 1.

4. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I know for a first time bow hunter, a 40 yard shot is a luck shot at best but I have practiced 40 yard shots since I had the bow and I am pretty accurate at that range. It is not like I aimed and hoped I hit the deer. If I had any thought of missing I would not have taken the shot. I can honestly say I will not take a shot at that distance again. There are to many variables in a shot like that for a new bow hunter.

5. bigred

bigred New Member

State:
    indiana
    congrats on the deer.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats on the firsts.

7. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Pat congats on your 1st bow kill.

8. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    congrats on the kill.

9. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Congrats on your deer and the shot. Like I've said before "you can't kill-m if you don't shoot at them!" Keep on practicing at 40 and 50 all year and those 30yrd shots seem alot easier.

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    congrats on your fist deer with a bow an hope more to come

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you was able to nail her.I know she will be good eating this winter.My family and I love venison!:hungry:

12. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    congrats on the deer. now I need to get me one.:smile2:

13. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    Great job on your first bow kill. Its an awesome feeling watching the arrow hit right where you want it to huh. 40 yards is pushing it for me although being in a field with no obstructions if it was a shooter buck i would try the shot but 40 yards inside the timber is out of the question.