First time Bank fishing

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by SemperFiCatfish, May 14, 2018.

1. SemperFiCatfish

SemperFiCatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Trevor
    So I went bank river fishing for the first time Saturday. We fished in the Missouri River at the Lewis and Clark Boathouse in St Charles, Mo. Had a blast with the girl and a friend. Caught me a nice 8lb channel cat. I want to get into this more, but I’m having a hard time understanding all the lingo of what different terms mean when people talk about the river; i.e. undercuts and whatnot. We just kind of picked a spot and threw out our lines. Don’t think there was much cover where we were at. Just any tips would work, or if anyone wants to meet up sometime and go fishing, I’m down.

Attached Files:

2. Horsehead

Horsehead Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jeff
    Looks like a good time!

3. music4cash

music4cash Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    The truth is catfish aren't that hard to find or catch. The main thing to keep in mind at first is, if you aren't catching fish move!...If you follow that rule you'll pretty quickly find some reliable spots, and start to develop a sense for where the fish will be in certain conditions. Try to pay particular attention to spots that are sometimes productive and try to notice when they are productive, and when they aren't. To me part of the joy of fishing is developing a sense of how the ecosystem works. Have fun...

Zigarro likes this.
  4. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Covering water like you mentioned is extremely important.

10min to 15min tops, if no bites recast or move on.

5. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Locate the bait.

If you are in a location loaded with shad, bluegill, crawfish, etc... that is where you should fish. Locate current breaks and cover/structure in that area near the bait, then position your bait accordingly.

Zigarro likes this.
  6. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    This site is full of helpful info in a variety of forums and you can research them back in time and learn much of what you'll need, and the members here are happy to share what they've learned.
    Beside that, YouTube is your friend; among the many experts on there with videos, the two I like best are Steve Douglas, and Luke from Catfish and Carp. Good luck and welcome to USCA, Trevor!

Aceoky and Catpaw like this.
  7. SemperFiCatfish

SemperFiCatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Trevor
    I’ve watched Luke a lot. I like his videos. I’ll have to check out Steve.

Aceoky likes this.
  8. Fishbones

Fishbones Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Nick
    Both of them want you to learn the how and where and why's of catfishing. Some of the others on utube want to sell you stuff. Like a secrete way to catch catfish for only 19.95 it's about bober fishing. By my stuff BS. Steve does a little of it but he also has a company he owns that makes rod holders mainly for boats. But the info is top notch from both of them. Check out Luke putting an Ugly Stik to the test. It's funny.

9. Aceoky

Aceoky Member

State:
    Western Ky
    Name:
    Jim
    Love to see Luke's son Tommy in action, that is what it's all about !

Fishbones likes this.
  10. Josey1965

Josey1965 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Josey
    The main thing is...you had a good time.

You can make fishing as chore ridden or pleasurable as you want....the rate of success might fluctuate based on those choices.

I like to fish places that are too much trouble for other anglers to go to.

There is a place that is like a hill climb to the water edge....very few people go there....and because of that, the water is full of hungry fish....i like it.

it is a pain but I usually do really well.

Fishbones likes this.