First time at the range

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Eithne, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    So we went out to the rifle range at PA State Game Lands 211 so that I could shoot for the first time and try out a few different rifles. I was using a Remington 700 BDL, .243 and a Winchester Model 70, .270. John brought out his Savage 99, .308. By the end of the trip, I fired 19 rounds, never missed the target and was never more than a centimeter outside the black. Not too bad for my first time. My shoulder was aching. :p I earned a trip for ice cream when I put two shots right next to each other with the .270. It was a whole lot of fun and I can't wait to do it again. And, of course, I can't wait to go hunting. :D

Attached Files:

2. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    your in TROUBLE now john ....

you taught her how to shoot ...

CONGRATS !!! Eithne

:D

most of those shots would be killing shots ... and the others would have left you a decent Blood trail ...

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    nice shooting.

Now do it again with a British 303, and open sights at 100 yrds.

4. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Nice shootin there Kristine...Its been so long since i shot i prolly wouldnt do that good...Guess i need to get out to the range myself. Hope you get you something this season shootting like that you shouldnt have a problem

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good job k. Keep it up. John your in big trouble.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Congrats Kristine, remind me never to make you mad. :eek:

7. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Are you shooting with a scope or open sights.

8. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks guys. I still can't believe I did so well. Hopefully it's a sign that I'll do well hunting this year. My goal is to get a bigger buck than John does. At least on the first year....

And don't worry Danny...if you ever make me mad, all you have to do is promise to buy me a beer. :grin-big:

Chuck - that trip was at 100 yards with a scope. On the next trip I'll probably be trying a few with just the open sights.

9. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great shooting, good luck in the field.

10. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Not too shabby there....We got 120 Acres nest to 6 miles of County Land where we hunt, so we go up there, about mid August to sit them in...And I have a 2004 Winchester POST Model 70 .30-06 Composite Stock, Stainless Steel Barrel, and equipped with a Leupold VX3 3x9x40 and let tehm fly at a hundred to 150 yards...And thats about how accurate they are...I was a marksmen in the Service...with the m16a2, m4, and also the M249 SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon)....Shootings fun, and always will be......But you got hooked now, and keep it up...Take Care

11. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    That was some very good shooting at 100 yrds the only suggestion that I could give is to squeeze the trigger and let the gun surprise you when you shoot and use only the last digit of your finger. This will tighten the group even more not that you really need it but with shooting like that you could really tighten up and put them right on top of each other. Good job.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im sure youll get a good un.
    If your looking for any tips, try taking 2-3 nice slow breaths. Then slowly exhale and hold your breath, and shoot. Like he said, squeeze the trigger.

13. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Never hold your breathe, Always use the very tip of your finger, and on the peak of your exhale is when you pull the trigger, but it should be VERY slightly and he is right, the gun should surprise you....When you hold your breath, theres too much movement..

14. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Looking at her shot group I wouldnt think that she was having alot of problems with breathing looked like trigger sqeeze to me but Im going to tell you that is one heck of a shot group regardless. I have held my breath every shot. I find it harder to exhale and then pull the trigger I hold my breath it make the same every time. Sight line sight picture hold breath sqeeze the trigger. Really its better to sqeeze on the exhale but some people just cant do it. I have spent hours on the range with Pvt.s and Lt.s that just couldnt shoot and not until I told them to hold there breath everytime did they start to group.

15. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I had to go back and look at her shot group again and I still think her breathing was fine just a little heavy on the trigger thats all. At 100 yrds that still is one heck of shot group for anyone.