first time at mark twain

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ravenloft420, Jun 4, 2009.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    A buddy and I are heading up to mark twain sometime this weekend.

Niether of us have been there before so any advice to help us get some decent ones would be awsome.

any hot spots/bait? good campgrounds? hahaha the fastest way to get there from st louis? :embarassed:

2. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    70 to 19, and 19 on up. whatch your speed those cops like to give tickets.
    all my luck there has come on liver or skipjack. heard the south fork area does well on flatties with live perch/goldfish.
    buzzards roost i think is the name of a good campground.
    hope that helps.

3. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had luck for eating sized channels fishing by the rocks to the left of the dam. I used minnows and a bobber set to about 18 inches. Catch them as the sun comes down and goes up. But, at night time I have had no luck there. And yes, watch those small towns.

4. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i would say any where on the lake in the back of coves and along channel ledges would be good spots to fish. lots of big channels and flatties and also some nice blues. i would say your best bet to get a big fish would be to fish shallow water at night with bluegill or goldfish and go after some flatty's. also i know a lot of fish were suspended pretty high up a couple of weeks ago. i know of a couple nice blues (20lbs +) that were caught on jugs with a 6 ft drop line in 24ft of water. good luck and there r a lot of good campgrounds around there just go to cannondam.com and they will have info and lake maps u can look at and see where u want to fish and camp.

5. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    The corp of engineers have excellent maps of the lake at any bait shop. The maps show you all the paking areas and ramps around the lake as well. They are free. Did anyone mention anything about small town cops on the way up there?:wink:

6. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wondering how the trip went? Been there once myself ..Caught my first flathead below the dam..Woot! Oh yeah..i don't think anyone mention the cops..Did you get a ticket on the way? :smile2:

I need to make another trip up there soon!

7. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm interested in hearing how the trip went as well. I like to fish MTL a few times a year. Just a nice change of pace from the rivers.And YES that is speed trap central up there. One of the worst for speed traps is Perry but I don't hold it against them. If I lived in the town where Hwy B and Hwy J intersected I'd have a chip on my shoulder as well. No joke...there is a sign at the town center that says B-J :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Is there any interest in a mini get-together at MTL during the late-summer time frame?

I've been thinking I might plan a trip this September and thought I'd chuck it out to see if there was any interest from other folks wanting to come along. I'll likely stay at South Fork Resort http://www.southforkresort.net/

If there is interest I can pull something together (perhaps even a cut on the cabin rates). I'm not envisioning anything fancy. Just hang out catch a bunch of eaters to fry up, have some frosty cocktails, shoot the bull and perhaps have a big fish contest or something...who knows? Post up. If there is enough interest we can start a new thread.

8. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Sounds like fun...I'd be interested in taking part!!!

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    COPS...I keep hearing this, but I rarely see cops near MTL. I guess they are there, but I obey the speed limit anyways...I just don't see the po-po.

10. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    gathering sounds like a plan for us northern boys, i would be there for sure and have quite a few buddies that would go to, i think we could probably get a bunch of spots reserved at the state park though, lots more room and a boat ramp right there at the campground.

11. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    me and my buddy k.d. will be there . just say when. the end of july should be a great time to get the big ones in deep water. i'll stick with my shad and garlic....i'm always up for a good challange and to meet fellow catfisher men.

12. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    i have about 3 sets of people who would go. im going to start a new thread.

13. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    its when ya dont see them that they become a pain in the a**....lol. i allways see them up there but i see them a lot less on the way in, its when im leaving at 3am things get interesting.

im in for a get together at mtl, there will probably be enough dinks close to shore that we could catch us a great fry without having to leave the beach and the cocktails...lol.

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Guess they just like me. :wink:...:smile2: Been driving all over up there for 20 years...never had a problem. Now I'm gonna be paranoid :crazy:, lol...thanks! :smile2:

15. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    i started a new thread and it got shut down because i called it a turny. i have about 10 people who are wanting to go