First Successful Roosevelt Lake Flathead Trip

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dhilltop2000, Jul 8, 2008.

1. dhilltop2000

dhilltop2000 New Member

State:
    New River, Arizona
    I've always wanted to pull a flathead from Roosevelt. I went with the "boys" the last two new moon periods and came back empty handed. The first time I had a run but the darn circle hook point went back into the bluegill and never hooked the cat. The second time I was also shut out.

I just got back last night with my wife and finally got on some. We fished down in the salt river and ended up with this one just after the sun went down. She had a good run a few hours later on a freakishly large bluegill she caught earlier in the day. Unfortunately the fish overpowered her and got buried into the thick brush. Both runs were in about 14ft of water.

Attached Files:

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice job man.. How big was it.. Looks around 20 #s

3. badben345

badben345 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nice going! i have absolutley got to get up there and do some catching if yas know what i mean. looks like it is heating up at roosie!

ben

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Congrats on your first flattie at rosie :wink: I am hoping for my first flattie of the season this weekend.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    that is a very nice fish, congrats

6. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    thats a good lookin fish man, cant wait til i can get there and hook up with one myself.:big_smile:

7. dhilltop2000

dhilltop2000 New Member

State:
    New River, Arizona
    Azflats, I had a cheap scale in the boat I weighed it with. It put it at 29.5 pounds. I thought it was bigger, but than again, going from most freshwater fish to these flatheads makes everything seem like a monster.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice fish...
    I know what you mean. It is very deceiving.. Them 10# flats I catch at Bartlet always look over 20, till I put them on the scale... Especially if you have not caught one in a while...
    ~A

9. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice Flatty. :cool2:

10. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yeah i would swear the fish in my avatar was over 60lbs :big_smile:

11. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice fish Jeremy. That thing does look bigger than it weighed. who cares???? That's a great fish in anyone's book!! Keep it up!!

12. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Congrats Jeremy thats a nice flat.

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Jeremy thats a nice flattie there:wink: and welcome to the board:big_smile: going to have to make that lake someday:confused2:

14. WegsXXI

WegsXXI New Member

State:
    Arizona

trust me we caught a 60 lb cat last week and it was so big we could only get the head in the net i couldnt even reack all the way around it!!! NO JOKE! ive never seen one that big wwe tried getting it in and it broke the net and the line snapped wow we were so pissed! but it was an awsome expirence and now we know were the monster "berniess" lives haha so were gunna get it!

15. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow!!!! I bet that was cool. :cool2:
    How do you know it was 60 lbs if you never got it out of the water?
    My PB is just barely over 60 lbs. It was 48 "x 32.5" The one in my avatar is 47" x 33" All we had to weigh it on was a crappy box spring scale that the markings went up to 50 lbs. It burried it complteley. The scale stops at what looks like it would be 3 lines past 50. So, screw it, we called it 53 lbs. Definitley well over 50. It definitley wasn't either record so it really didn't matter all that much what its actual weight was. It was a biggun thas all that counted. When it's 5' plus then i'll get a accurate weight. Anyways it sounds to me like that fish you lost was ALOT bigger than 60 lbs. Good luck gettin it and definitely get us some pics when you rip it out.

16. WegsXXI

WegsXXI New Member

State:
    Arizona
    yeah we all thing it was alot more but Deff minimum 60 lbs and lot of ppl tell far fetch fish stories so when we tell our with 60 cuz of all the people thinkin were full of it but in other thoughts i could care less if noone belives me cuz we all know what we got and it was a monster haha it could have easilly hit 90 i think but we wont know till we get it in the boat!

the lake were we got it in Hot Spring ARK has a bluecat record of 124 as of this year so you gotta know there are monsters down there and it a huge lake!

17. dhilltop2000

dhilltop2000 New Member

State:
    New River, Arizona
    Ok, the dealer has given me my first "freebie", now I'm addicted! I've got plans to head back out on July 28th and Aug 4th. Due to work, I'm stuck doing Monday night trips and these Monday’s days seem to be the darkest. I've been reading as much as I could on this website and the rest of the web for techniques and gear that works well for this style of fishing. After my wife lost hers to the trees I'm trying to think of the best techniques and equipment to get these things turned and headed back to the boat before they run into the thick stuff. I have two saltwater conventional reels with 50# mono and one big spinning reel with #65 braid. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on setting the drag for these short, intense fights?

18. Cateyes

Cateyes New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice one, How far up were u in the river?

19. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    With all these post i am going to keep going to Eads wash area and fish going down river some, thanks for the info.