First song you ever learned?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I suppose most people would say "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star", and maybe it was for me too. That's not the one I remember as being one of the first ones though. I think "Where Is Thumbkin?" was thrown in somewhere, but a lot of songs for tiny tots seem to be about nature. The first song I learned that I recall being asked to sing is "The Big Round Sun".

The big round sun, with its yellow light......tells us its day instead of night;
    And when it sinks, in the golden west.....it tells a story I love best.
    (Ah, gotta love those sunsets!)

I also liked "It's Raining, It's Pouring" - such a truth too. Most of the old men I know enjoy snoring when it rains.

Later on in public school, my two favorite songs taught to me were "Senor Don Gato" and "Get Along Little Doggies".

Who has a children's song that they particularly like, or that brings back childhood memories?

2. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't remember the first songs I learned, however I kind of remember the first one I ever sang in public.

"Delta Dawn". I was in the christmas program at church and couldn't remember the song I was supposed to be singing. So I sang that instead. I was only 4. It was my first church solo.:smile2:

3. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm sure I learned all the basic children's songs in preschool or something, but the one my mother always sang to us and we learned very early was "Que Sera Sera".

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Besides the normal kiddy songs, the one we sang the most as kids was "Jeremiah was a bull frog, was a good friend of mine, never understood a single word he said but I helped him drink his wine, yes, he always had some mighty fine wine, singin, Joy to the world, all the boys and girls, joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, joy to you and me"...

I still sing that one when I'm bored....lol :big_smile:

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I still sing it too Al :big_smile:. Can't go wrong with some Three Dog Night imo.

We moved into a new development when my parents built a house in 1972, the neighbor girls taught us that song. Mom and Dad had forgotten about the radio by 1968.......those girls also taught us "Chick-a-Boom". We came home from bike riding singing them, and my parents were like "Whaaaaaat? What happened to Jesus Loves Me?"

Thanks Al, now I know what song will be stuck in my head for the rest of the afternoon! :smile2:

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    red river valley in first gade many years ago ! :smile2:

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    LOL... You brought up the song thing, now I'll be singing these old songs myself all day...lol
    I remember the Chick-a-boom song to, we used to sing that on the school bus all the time when we lived in N.C.
    :big_smile: I was born there at the Camp Lejune Marine Corp Base.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Here's a catchy little number from my childhood.....

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
    Tochter aus Elysium!
    Wir betreten feuertrunken,
    Himmlische, Dein Heiligtum.
    Deine Zauber binden wieder,
    Was die Mode streng geteilt,
    Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
    Wo Dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
    Diesen Kuß der ganzen Welt!
    Brüder, überm Sternenzelt
    Muß ein lieber Vater wohnen!

...W

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For those about to rock..We Salute You!!....no just kidding it probably was the Itsy- Bitsy Spider went up the water spout...down came the rain and washed the spider out...Ok you get the idea. I still can't stand spiders.:crazy:

10. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't remember the first song I learned. Could have been Jesus Loves Me, or it could have been You Are My Sunshine.. Both were childhood favorites.

The first song I remember learning ALL the words to, AND thinking it was Oh So Risque was I Gotcha by Joe Tex. I even got the 45. The flip side was Skinny Legs And All.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

German......the only songs I can sing in German are "O Tannenbaum" and "Stille Nacht", compliments of a classmate's adoptive mother, a large German lady. "Silent Night" I know in French also.

Beethoven amazes me.....especially the composing after he went deaf. I guess if you're that involved/in tune to music you'd still hear it in your brain though. If I ever lose my hearing, I sure hope so. Another thing comes to my mind about childhood, the age old question "If you had to, would you rather be blind or deaf?" A lot would pick deaf, but for me it would be blind I think.

"Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee"......nice melody. Thanks W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQxK0ndzIg

12. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    The first song I remember singing was Jesus loves little children. All the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white. They are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world. Learned that in Sunday school.
    But I also remember singing We had joy we had fun we had seasons int he sun while listening to WAKY radio.

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well Tayna the Very first song I ever learned was when I was in the Navy,An Old seagoing song and it goes like this(My name is Barnical Bill the salior I make five dollars a day I go see Nellie and Bounce on her belly She takes My five dollars away) Chief Gunners Mate H.O Lillie learned Mr this one. Never Forgot It.LOL J.D.:wink:

14. mrguffy

mrguffy New Member

State:
    Pa.
    First song was, Jesus Loves Me. and it got me off to a good start. Then I became a fisherman anf learned to lie.

Good luck and good fishing, remember to leave some for seed.
    Bob

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The first one I ever learned was when I was about 4-5 years old, called, "Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier" from the old TV show. My Dad would make me sing it every time company came over. I hated that!

16. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Gene Autry's "Don't Fence Me In" was the first song I ever sang in public. I was 4.
    "Oh My Darlin" and "Red River Valley" stand out as some of the first ones sang around the house, along with "Jesus Loves Me" and "Let The Son Shine In" .
    Good times and good music.

17. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Tanya and All,
    Ain't sure of the first one I learned to sing. Tha first one I learned all of the way through on guitar was, no kidding, "Stariway To Heaven" by Zeppelin. The first on bass was "Just My Imagination". The first on Banjo was "Amazing Grace".
    JD

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Dang man, you can play banjo TOO? I've heard it's a difficult instrument to learn, kudos to you!

Billie, I relate to ya about your dad, my parents did the same thing. I liked it though :wink:.

Mr.Holladay, I shoulda known you were standin' up singin' in public at a young age. My first solo for folks other than the family was sung in Grandaddy's church, "I Just Keep Trusting My Lord". I was 3. We haven't changed all that much, have we? :big_smile:

19. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I would say mine would be Crawdad Hole.Not the dumbed up version Sugarland sings either :p

Other than that I would guess Fat Bottom Girls or We Will Rock You by Queen.My mom was a very big Freddy Mercury fanatic.

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ya know, for the life of me, I don't remember ever singing a song all the way through. Not one time in my entire life!

Seems every time I tried, somebody or another would shout out for me to stop that awful screeching!!! Had one guy shout out for somebody to shoot that whatever dog that was that sounds like he just got hit by a car.

I also tend to mix some of the words up when I attempt to sing. For example:
    Oh, say can you see,
    Oh my darlin Clementine,
    In a pear tree.
    Doo Daa!