First Snapper!

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Sep 15, 2008.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Well, after a few members told me to try snapper, I did:eek:oooh:. I caught it and we flushed its system for a week in a cage and ate it last night. I must say I was impressed, my grandma apparently knew how to make turtle soup from when she lived in SC. It was very good, and I would rather clear them out the river than the native fish:big_smile:. There is unlimited bag on these although I only catch them once in a blue moon.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like fun and I know that you had a good meal, I am not sure they are worth the work however!!

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you like the soup you need to try it fried. I like it rolled in whatever you like to fry chicken in and cook it real real slow like a couple of hours or until tender, you put a piece on top of your head and your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get it.

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Yeah next snapper will be fried for sure. I don't catch too many, mainly softshells around here

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey if those are the same softshells we get around here they are better than snapper.

6. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I dont think so, they smell too horrible to eat.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Seth,next time you catch a softshell,try this. Find a clear place on the beach about 20 ft from the water,face the turtle towards the water,set it down,turn it loose,I bet you cant catch it before it makes it to the water!! They are that fast.

8. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    That would be something to try!!:smile2: I think I will try that next time

9. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The soft shells we have around here have a long skinny neck and oval shell. They also have a pointed nose and can run really fast, they like to chase you up the bank with the hook in them, sometimes fast enough you cant reel in fast enough to keep up. I will try to come up with a picture or a link so you can see them.

10. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    smoth softshell and eastern spiny softshell
    www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/education/turtle/turpix4.htm#eastpin

both of these turtles are good eating you might have to scroll down to see them,,,, to me they are way better than snapper but they have to be a bit bigger than most snappers to make it worth cleaning them,,, jsut as mean and faster just easier to clean them

11. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Those are the same we have here, those spiny softshells for sure. I MIGHT try them, kinda scary with their stink and all.

12. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont know whats up with that i havnt noticed the ones around here havong an odor, well any worse than a snapper anyway. What type of water are you fishing, i know that when its late summer here after all the heatr and the water levels are way down the turtles smell worse and dont taste as good. Or the type of bottom in the body of water. When i catch a turtle in a body of water with blue mud that smells like raw sewage:eek:oooh: we have to clean them out longer than usual. Other than that i couldnt tell you.

13. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Here i'll show you a picture, the snappers arent in here, only a little spring creek nearby. Thats the only pic I have of it and its pretty muddy

14. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would say that the mudiness is your problem, i would say take it home and change the water every day for about a week then about every three days till its realy clean and then get him readt for the grease, i feed mine shad or chicken or just whatever the seem to eat about anything.

15. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Glad to hear that you finally tried snapper Seth. And I'm in total agreement that softshells are better tasting. They might smell
    worse coming out of the water but a simple
    spraying off with the garden hose and the smell
    is gone. Something else I've noticed after cleaning and eating over a hundred turtles is that it's not necessary to soak them out. Just
    spray them down real good before butchering
    them and they'll taste fine the same day that
    you catch them. One more tip that I've never
    mentioned in this forum in the past is that
    you should bleed the meat out as well as possible!!! The blood greatly affect the taste.
    And it's NOT good. Rinse and drain the meat
    several times. Then enjoy! Ummm.

16. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Sorry,there is the pic. It didnt upload last time. Well, I may just try the next softshell probably this weekend. I still will flush it out though, its too scary for me to try

Attached Files:

17. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey i just learned a new one there, thanks larry i rarely had to cleanse them cause of clean water but that will help that i can save time on the others just with a quick rinse.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice Channel Catfish.