First post with a question...

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by verrykerry, Oct 2, 2009.

1. verrykerry

verrykerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    I may be crazy but I don't believe skipjack reside in our waters here in N. Texas. I've been searching online but can't find a source to "buy" a case of these frozen critters (fresh or salt or whatever). I have shad available but typically only net the little 2" babies. In any case an online source for a case of this wonderful oily fish i've heard so much about would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Kerry in N. Texas

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont really know myself if they're down there or not. The best place to go is below the tailwaters. Toss sabiki rigs or jigs and grubs.:wink: Hope this helps, and welcome to the BOC.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    http://www.thebaitbarn.com/storename/baitbarn/ViewDept-236325.aspx

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    your prolly catchin thread fin shad. skipjacks love fast current, like below dams and spillways. there are places to find skips in Texas though. where are you lookin for them at? what body of water? correct me if im wrong guys, but i think they get the name from the way they skip or jump across the top of the water. this is usally how you know their in the area and runnin.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    2 skips for 9.99? they are smokeing something look up tennesseejugger he has some right now

6. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    You are not wrong, that is correct.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Welcome to the BOC Kerry,
    At $5.00 apiece for skips you could load the truck with coolers and head up to Barkley and stay for a few day. Even with hotel and all you would be ahead.
    ...W

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    welcome to the BOC kerry. i've lived in northeast texas all my life and had never heard of skipjack til i became a BOC member. as far as i know they are not in any of the river systems in texas. the arkansas river is about the closest place that i know of to catch them with any consistency.

9. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Skips are the best but you can try a stacked minnow rig , it works really well.While Barkley in Ky is loaded with skips for sure sometimes all you catch is the small two inch shad.Just use a 7/0 or larger wide gap kahle hook and hook three or four thru the lips.The blues will tear them up and the distressed factor can't be beat.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kerry Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I would agree with Dennis post on placing several shad on a 7/0 kahle hook. Give it a try.:0a22::0a22::0a25:

11. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome aboard Kerry!
    Other fresh live, or cut bait is good also.
    Otherwise ya might want to take a road trip for skips.

12. verrykerry

verrykerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    But the system won't let me PM him until I've made a minimum of 10 posts. Would someone kindly contact him and have him pm me or email at verrykerry@yahoo.com.

Thank you,
    Kerry

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC Kerry

14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    you're halfway there kerry. just 5 more posts. :roll_eyes: :crazy:

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Kerry First off Welcome to the BOC. Not sure where the Trinity river is in Texas but that is where the state record skipjack came from in 2003. It was 9.5" long .