First post... have a few questions...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JacksonvilleBill, Mar 30, 2006.

1. JacksonvilleBill

JacksonvilleBill New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hey guys, I'm a life long fisherman, but my catfishing usually involves throwing a hunk of hotdog out on a tight line in a local pond. Next weekend my fishing buddy and I are taking a weekend trip to Lake Seminole in southwest Georgia, in search of some real catfishing. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with:

1) From what I've read, Lake Seminole has Blue Cats, Flatheads, and Channels. Will all three species hit baits like nightcrawlers or chicken livers?

2) The dock at the lakehouse sits in 12 feet of water, only 20 feet from the bank. Would you guys recommend float-rigging or tight-lining from a dock? If a float-rig is the way to go, how deep should I set it?

3) When in the boat, what kind of areas should we look for, in regard to depth and cover, for the catfish this time of year? Also, will we stand a decent chance during the day, or should we chase the largemouth until dark?

Thanks!!

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scan the articles already posted, Bill. That's covering a lot of ground....er that is....a lot of water!!!

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    First welcome to the BOC, you will find a lot of good info here.

Flathead like live bait, like bluegills, shad, chub minnows. They also like to hide next to cover.

Channels like worms, stink bait and many other things, but I use cut bait from bluegills, shad, chub minnows.

Blue cats will eat all the above, but I like to use larger baits for them like skip jack, moon eye, shad.

I would tight line off the dock myself, but you can float the bait. You have to find the right depth. You may have to adjust the bait to find it.You might try a bluegill on a float, I like to keep mine about a foot or so off the bottom, just let him swim around.

From a boat, Depth & cover...Points, rocks, wood, drop offs, holes, All can be very productive. Catfish like to move, They may be on rocks one day and points the next. This will have to be trial and error. Try one place for 15 or 20 minutes, of they don't bit move to something else.

Good luck & let us know how you do.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would suggest that you do alot of reading in the forums here..I would also use some kind of fresh cut bait, like shad or sucker if you can get them, maybe even bluegill...Good luck and welcome aboard.

5. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I think the other posts have pretty much covered what I was going to say. If the bait shops dont carry shad or skipjack then I would spend some time catching bluegill during the day. I would keep some of them alive for the flatheads and use the others as cut bait. I would check the local laws on the DNR site to see if using bluegill as bait is legal in your state.

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :0a25: ​

Couldn't agree more on what to use and definitely emphasize on reading what's available here on the BOC. There's a wealth of information at your fingertips, just take the time to read it and you won't be disappointed.

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Bill, this is a great site with lots of great info. I think Jim F pretty much covered it, sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :)

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    JacksonvilleBill

:0a25:

Nice to see you at the best Catfishing Site on the internet, welcome aboard!!

You did not say if you had a fish finder in that boat? Do you???? If from the boat look for stucture like the old creek beds too along with what was stated above

I'd tight-line but if so you will need to have sturdy rod holders or tie off the rods some how as not to lose any rods ;) !!

20# test and 6/o hooks toooooo.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50475&postcount=1

Take both cut Shad and live bait but FRESH SHAD on ice if only cutbait.

I'm a Ohio River Flatheader and have never caught a Flattie out of a lake for what it is worth ;)

Make sure you check the drags before you start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps & good hunting.

Plz let us know how you do.

9. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    JacksonvilleBill

Welcome. There's a ton of information from a lot of good folks on here. Enjoy.

I don't know what your state rod limit is, but I would set up on a new lake using a variety of methods to see which one or two were best at the time. You need to find structure - log, rock, bump, hole... Say you put out one rod with live bait on a sliprig on the bottom, shad, chub, sucker, bluegill, etc. Next rod, run cutbait from a bobber. These two will get you started for just about any cat. If you can put out a third, take some stinkbait for the channels (see Danny King Punchbait on the right) to keep you busy whle the big ones are winding up.

I generally fish flathead cats afternoons to a bit after midnight, or early morning 3 to 7:30 or so. You ccan catch 'em anytime, but only if your in the water. Let us know how you make out.

Dennis

10. andi1950

andi1950 New Member

State:
    Belton, Texas
    I can't add much to what has already been said; so I'll just say "Welcome to the brotherhood." You will find several lifetimes worth of catfishing info, here.

jerry

11. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    no need for me to add anything to whats already been said, except welcome aboard.

12. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Welcome to the family. glad to have you join. do as all the other brothers here have told you and you will be in good shape.

Keep us posted and always take some photos for us to see.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Bill.

14. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcom to the BOC. As I think you can see there is a lot of information here both by asking questions and checking what has already been posted.

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Welcome to the best catfishing website their is. Try several methods for catfishing, like multiple baits, shad , skipjack, whole and as cut bait. Don't forget shad guts, works great for me. Also use as many poles as you can to offer different baits and locations. Look for submerged structure while fishing from a boat, logs , dropoffs, holes showing up on the fish finder. Also try using a slip bobber, cats come to the shallows in the evenings. Have fun

16. JacksonvilleBill

JacksonvilleBill New Member

State:
    Florida
    wow.... thanks for all of the responses. I am going to make sure and do some thorough reading through the boards for information. I'm not sure if I can get Shad or Herring, but I will try and catch some bluegills from the dock for bait. Until I can catch some, the first night I'll proably try worms and maybe some cured livers (which I have learned to make from the boards). Thanks again for the generous advice.

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    JacksonvilleBill - :0a25: Welcome to the B.O.C.!!! Let us know how you did on your trip to Georgia!

18. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Welcome to the BOC!!

When we bank fish we usually have a perch on the line or chicken liver.
    Just have fun!!

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Bill. You will find answers to your questions here on this site:) :)

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For a bait that will catch all 3 species, I'd get a castnet and catch some shad. Put them in a ziploc bag and put them on ice immediately. Use them as soon as possible after catching. Large shad hold up much better than small shad. I'd rather have a fillet or chunk from a good sized shad than a whole small shad; more blood, and the stomach of the small shad starts rotting out almost immediately.