First post: first question =)

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catnbrian, Sep 2, 2009.

1. catnbrian

catnbrian New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hello all.

First post...so glad I found this place!
    I am an avid bass and panfisherman...but I love catfish!
    Given the choice I would choose catfish for fun over most species.
    ...However.
    I have done alot of research on most species I target and been able to be pretty successful. But with channel cats...I cant seem to locate good literature on fishing for these guys in lakes. Even in-fisherman's book on channels covered rivers almost exclusively.

Is there anything out there that can teach me where to concentrate my efforts? I know where to look most seasons for bass...I know where to look most times for panfish, pike, walleye, etc....but I am clueless on where to head in any particular lake for channels.

Know any good books?
    any articles about lake fishing?

any help would be awesome
    Thanks!
    -Brian

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Brian. I dont fish lakes much, I am a river fisherman, however go to the home page and scroll down to "Catfish Discussion" and click on Channel Cat, that section is dedicated to jus Channel Cats in particular. There is also the member library that can help you out alot. Im am 100% sure someone will drop by to give you some information on Channel Cat lake fishing, because thats how we roll. We love to help one another out here. Welcome and good luck.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC.

You are at the right spot for information on catching catfish. Go back and read some of the posts and ask all the question you want. Some one will be glad to help you. Also check out the members library, a lot of good info in there.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Are you fishing in lakes or rivers? Big Lakes or Big Rivers. This is important information to know before advice is given.

Channel Catfish are the most abundant (hopefully not bullheads) in any body of water you might fish.

If there are shad, bluegills, etc, in the lake or river system, that will help us determine what bait to use.

5. catnbrian

catnbrian New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks for replies all.

As my post said I am looking for info/book titles on fishing for channel cats in inland lakes. (not great lakes)

There is plenty of info out there on how/when/where to target other species in lakes...and there is plenty on how to target channel cats in rivers....but there is very little published info (at least that I have found) on targeting channel cats in inland lakes.

and, as I stated above, that is the info I seek

6. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would follow what Mr. foster and Dirtdobber posted, the information on here is going to be more up to date and from actual experience's of these guys that have been fishing for catfish under all types of conditions. I'm new on here as well and read through posts everyday. It has helped me a lot.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Anthony and Brian.

8. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    And you probaly will not find a lot of published info on the topic so here is what I would do if I where you I fish a lake here in Tallahassee its not big not small either I would find a topograghy map of the body of water that I am fishing to make yourself familar with where your fishing go by your local bait shops asked where the good areas to fish ask people at the boat ramps bank fisherman locals have a wealth of info_On the lake look for structure fallen trees log jams lake dams are all good places fish with baits that are native to the lake bream,shad,shinners,...make sure to follow the state regs! Nightcrawlers,raw shrimp,dip bates I recommend secret seven the biggest deal is experiment a lot thats what I do and if you git skunked dont give up!!!!! welcome to the BOC:cool2:

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian Welcome to the BOC. There is a wealth of info on here that comes from years of experience. This by far exceeds a writers views or interviews. You have already received some goo advise. Enjoy this site. It has plenty to offer.

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from Central Texas. You're going to love this site and there is an endless supply of information here.

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Brain welcome to the B.O.C ,i believe if you are to find the info u are wanting this is the place to find it .Hope you enjoy your time here on the B.O.C.

13. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Hey Brian, welcome to the BOC. Fish the same areas in lakes for channels that you would for bass. I dont know if it is legal in Michigan, but if you bait a hole with soured grain you could bring most of the eating sized channels in an area to you. It wont attract big ones but the little ones will come in droves.

14. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    as you have found out theres not alot of published info on lake channels, so theres nothing to recomend for you to read. if you could give us more info on the lake(s) your going to fish, we might be able to help. lake size, bait fish in the lake, what you have tried so far. any more details you could give, would help in giving you some advice.

15. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    I go after Channels like I would bass. I cast up next to stumps and trees using cut shad or perch and let it sit for a while. If I don’t get a bite in a spot in 30 minutes or so I go try another spot. They like brush and overhanging trees. If I fish during the day I try to find shady spots but normally I fish at night. Also I try to fish on the side of the lake where the waves are hitting the shore if the waves are not to big since I have a small boat. The waves stir up a lot of food for the cats. Just random ideas hopefully it will help some. Good luck

16. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    well your not going to need a book anymore check out the section on fishing state by state someone might have your lake covered already if not post a question on it and i bet someone here has fished it if not just start looking at the other lakes in your state or nearby states and get info from that there is more info here on catfish than any book... EVER

17. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96

post a new thread there if there isnt information already there to help you i got on here and wanted to find out if anybody was fishing my fav lake and guess what there were already questions up there to see if anyone was fishing it and since I do everyday i shared and took in a wealth of information. hope this helps

18. catnbrian

catnbrian New Member

State:
    Michigan
    thanks for the warm welcome and great helpful tips guys!