First post and my fishing report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Motopro00, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Hi everyone. I'm mike. I just started catfishing about 4 weeks ago and new to the site. Ok last night at 7:30pm I ran down to west city park in fetus to hit the creek there (joachim creek). I caught 4- 4" to 6" shad, 1-2" bluegill, and 3 4" to 8" carp or creek chubs. I used a 5' cast net with 3/8" mash. I am not totally sure about the carp or chub. I need to research bait fish more. I headed down to Herculaneum city and went down on the bank right next to the Doe company. I parked half way down the bank and set up on a small "point". I started to fish at 8:30pm and put on the bluegill live and sent him out. I sat for a couple hours with nothing. I finally lost my bait with a snag and lost my sinker. I resinkered my line and cut a shad up and put his head on and nothing. I waited for a couple more hours. The bait stayed on but lost another sinker trying to change to other spots on the bank. At about 12:30am I just took the head off and put another chunk on thinking something fresh might make something happen. Waited for awhile and still nothing. So it was getting late and I had lots of bait still so I cut up the carp and tossed them out in front of me. After 10 min. I noticed something "floating" on top of the water close to the bank right in front of me and it was going up current so I moved to grab the light and a huge splash and it turned out to be a big fish scaring me half to death. I waited for awhile longer and got a good hit bending my pole over but nothing there when I grabed it. I tried different cut bait and changed where I was putting the bait in river but nothing. I was beat and it was about 4:10am and decided to head it in.
    All in all it's been fun learning and will get better in time. I have lots to work on but I am hooked!!!

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Great report Mike and welcome to the BoC. It's good to hear you not being discouraged when the bite is slow. Hanging in there is how you get good. Keep at it and good luck next time ; )

-Jim-

3. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Welcome to the BOC and thanks for sharing your story:big_smile:

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. And keep your head up, the fish will come.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the Brotherhood. Thanks for sharing your fishing story.:0a22::0a25:

6. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC, this is an awesome place, good luck on you quest to stick a pig.

7. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    thanks for the welcome. I am glad to have found this place. Tons of info here.

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Mike and welcome to the BOC. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

9. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Mike welcome to the BOC, great infor here.

10. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    Welcome to the BOC and great informative post about the different baits tried. We have had the best luck on asian carp last couple times we have went out. Once baited up you cant hardly get that meat off the hook! :smile2:
    Happy Fishing!

11. Mrs. Andy52

Mrs. Andy52 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. The info is great and so, I might add, are the people here. It's a great place to get to know fellow fisherman. Good story too, enjoyed it.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi Mike, my names Fish, glad to have ya on the board. Lots of really good fishermen in your area. Hang around, you'll be glad ya did,

13. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    welcome im new myself like mickey says one cast and my day will come.:big_smile: some friends and i camped on the river last weekend and things were slow but we kept tryn. b4 it was over we had a 15lb blue a 6,4,and2,lb flat. not monsters but we had a blast. we had to run to the creek to catch bait three diff times. that was one of the best parts. dang snags.

14. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    MIKE b welcome to the B.O.C. hope you enjoy your time here :wink:

15. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to the BOC Mike.Bank fishing can be tough,but it will get better for you as you learn new things to try.Guys in your area will be the ones to put you on the baits for where youre fishing.It will come together for you as you have found the place where the good info is.Good luck on your next trip.

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Mike thanks for the report an many welcomes to the BOC!

17. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC!! Great report