First Pike speared through the ice

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by CaptainBrad, Dec 23, 2007.

1. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Saturday I had an opportunity to attempt to spear a northern pike through the ice. This was the second time I have tried (the first was a bust) I sat in the house nearly three hours. Had nine pike come through my hole and managed to spear three. The only thing I can compare this to is deer hunting with bow. What a rush!!:smile2:

Attached Files:

2. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Pretty cool. I spear flounder a lot but not through the ice.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that's awesome! i have speared spawning carp before, it's pretty fun. i have read a lot about spearing pike and musky, you have to use a fish decoy right?

4. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    HOW I MISS ICE FISHING NOW THAT I LIVE IN CENTRAL OHIO!!!!! Comming from MICHIGAN and growing up there, I have only gotten my gear out because the guys I work with have never seen a tip up. Keep up the good work.. Howard M Galloway, Ohio

5. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Yes, I was using a wooden decoy that was white with a red head. I had 3 fish hit the decoy and take off before I could spear them. Still "What a Rush"

6. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Hi Brad,I used to ice fish every year until I moved south two years ago.I grew up in Michigan so come winter time that is what you did if you wanted to enjoy the outdoors.I just gave all my ice gear to my fishing buddy back home this year,it was just taking up room in the garage.Dude got 4-5 tip-ups,4 ice rods a new lazer auger and some other odds & ends but I kept all 37 jillion ice jigs for gills I think I'll put the whoop on some "brim" that never saw a marmooska jig before:wink: ,dang I miss that!

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I heard about how they used to do that "back in the day" but I didnt know it was still practiced. That sounds interesting.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We used to do that in da UP! We would use a live sucker about 18 inches for a decoy. I used to love to see that sucker trying to get out of the way of a pike. And it is like waiting for that buck to give you a kill shot.smokey

9. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    There's a lot of people still doing this in Minnesota as well.

Not enough good ice on the river yet for me to go out.

10. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    Dude that's not a spear that's a trident!LOL looks like a lot of fun.:big_smile:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Pike!

12. RockyIII

RockyIII New Member

State:
    From NY but live in NM
    Thanks for the pics Brad, I grew up icefishing in NY. No spear fishing though, looks cool. Here's a couple of Pike that I've caught in NM. Jim

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

I think you have forgotten something... wheres to pike?

14. RockyIII

RockyIII New Member

State:
    From NY but live in NM

I finally got back in net. range. I'm not sure what happened with the pics, I tried to post them again and it said that I already uploaded them. I'm not sure where they went.

15. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you have any pic of what these decoys look like?

16. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, that's a gig, a spear has a single tip, a trident has three. Looks cool, but if you can lure them in like that, why not just have the fun of catching them on line and making the odds a little more "even"?

I used to know a guy that speared carp and sucker during the spring run back in Iowa, but he had a single tipped spear attached to a tether and he could chuck that sucker. He'd spear fish up to 40' away with a high arching throw. Really neat to watch.

17. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I got some pictures last weekend. One is of what the decoy looks like in the hole waiting for a fish and the other is how we cut the ice holes.

Attached Files:

18. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks Brad for sharing the pics. I have neverr speared one before but I have done alot of frog gigging in Lake Charles, Louisiana. We used to get some monster frogs.
    :big_smile:

19. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Now that looks fun, question, how are the decoys held in place. Are weighted or something?

20. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The decoy is made of hollowed out plastic or wood so it will fill up with water when dropped in. It is held by a piece of line connected to a wood dowl or broom stick. This allows you to control the depth and it is made to swim irratically so you can jig it and make it swim at a desired depth.