First Pheasant Hunt of the season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by iowacatter, Sep 23, 2006.

1. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cody and myself went to a freinds preserve today, to work Willie, and get him ready for the upcoming pheasant season, and to try to get Cody his first bird EVER!

Cody got to shoot at 4 roosters, but has yet to get his first. Nothing a little more time shooting clay pidgeons won't fix!

Willie did a good job, working a couple runners and pointing a couple more for us. All in all it was a great day of hunting and time well spent with my son and enjoying the great outdoors!

I was shooting "cleanup" behind Cody and we managed to get 3 of the birds, so we will be having fresh pheasant with our chili tonight!

I included a picture of our birds, with my 2 favorite hunting partners!!

Thanks for viewing my post!

Attached Files:

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Neat Stan! Thanks for sharing your special father/son outing with US. Cody and Willie look like great hunting buddies. Pheasant and chili huh? Sounds like an interesting combination! (I've never tasted pheasant :roll_eyes:)

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    Looks Like You All Had Fun Like Seeing Some 1 Taking There KIDS Hunting Or Fishing An Keeping Them Of The Streets Keep Up The Good Work

4. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Congrats on the hunt. I enjoy rabbit hunting and know the love between a owner and his hunting buddies (dogs)!:big_smile:

5. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tanya, never had pheasant????lol You need to get out more! Just kidding. Its a good traditional fall meal around here, pheasant and chili.

Bill, Thank you, I'll keep doing my best!

Tony Jr.,They give us some proud moments....... and once in a while a "not so proud" one too. lol but that's OK we still love em!

Thanks you guys, and gal for your nice comments!!

6. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great post, I love it. Sure wish I can make it back to shoot a few back in IL myself.

Nice to see things like this.

MAJ D

7. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Darrel, We'll save a few for you here in Iowa! Thanks for keeping us all safe! God Bless

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if ya cant catch fish , hunt pheasents lol . good job stan

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thank you so much for taking your son out and getting him acclimated with the great gift of the outdoors .. my daughter and i are going to start hunting together this fall oops fall starts at 12.00 today dont it?

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Stan for the interesting post and picture.

I liked pheasant hunting better than quail, I've hunted pheasant in the TX Panhandle near Hereford.

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Glad to hear to had a good first time out. It's getting to be that time of year!

12. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Chuck, uuuuhhh, no comment on my fishing:lol: BYW the offer is still open, anytime!! Thanks

Richard, I really enjoy time spent out there with him, and I hope I can teach him to do something he can enjoy all his life! Thanks

Dayton, I enjoy hunting quail too, but the pheasants are easier to actually hit :lol:. I didnt know they have many pheasants in Texas, but I know some areas are loaded with quail. Interesting, Thanks

Tyler, Yeah it is getting really close to that time of yr!! Hope you got your gun cleaned and have a great duck season!! Thanks

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Stan, back about 20 years ago there were quite a few pheasants around Hereford.. not sure now. I had a couple brothers lived there and I hunted with them for several years. I loved hunting them, we never had a dog but always got all we wanted. That is really something when one of those big roosters fly up right at your feet.... I missed many more than I killed! :lol:

But I'm sure TX was nothing like your area. I traveled across Iowa years ago on a train when snow was on the ground... I had never saw so many pheasants.

Correct about blue quail in west TX... where we lived at Odessa there were abundant.

14. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dayton, I know what you mean, when they fly up right under your feet:lol: What a rush. Don't have that to often with the dogs, but it still happens. They are definetly a beautiful bird! Thanks Again!

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Great pic!!
    Hope the chili killed the taste of those nasty old phesants!!:lol:

I saw a show the other day where they were bow hunting them!!I'll stick to my mossburg.

16. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    nice looking birds

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
  18. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Hey Stan, just ran across your post. This weekend, I get to take my son-in-law & grandson to a gamefarm for their first pheasant hunt. They're both KC city slickers who were out at the gun club this summer, but it's their first time in the field. Should be a hoot! My wife's going to follow us along & take pictures.

The next weekend "Maximus the gladiator" & I will be chasing chickens around Corning/Creston. Not sure which of us is more anxious! I grew up hunting them in central ILlinois where my brother & cousins farmed. Not many birds there now tho between the predators & fall disking.

19. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bill,
    thats great!! I am glad you are including the whole family. I do some guiding at a preserve, like you are talking about, and it is a great way to get them on the birds and spark their interest!! If you ever get up this way, let me know. We could go after a "ditch chicken" ot two!! lol Thanks!

20. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    nice hunt i bet you had a good time