First Outboard - Maybe a Tuneup?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Kevin G, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello, I've recently purchased by first outboard motor for my first boat. After running it id really like to make sure it is well taken care of and have a few questions.

It is a 9.5hp Evinrude Serial # j01427 Model 9322B built in 1973.

When i crank it up and put it on full throttle it speeds up and then speeds down on it's own. It does this every so often. Also when i have it on low idle it cuts off.

My question is what is wrong with it and what would you suggest? Thanks.

2. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    Is this with the cowl on or off? 9.5's are notorious for leaking exhaust under the hood and choking out the motor. See if it runs better with the cowl off.

3. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I ran it for a while with the cowl on and off. It didn't seem to make any difference. It still has the problem with the cowl off, so i don't believe it is the hood. Some very helpful members suggested it may need carb reworked/ cleaned. While others suggest it may need new bulb/ pump lines and etc and may be a gas tank problem. I replaced these and have not really had the time to test it out yet.

To be honest i'm happy it at least runs but id rather not have to run it soo much just to keep it from dropping in efficiency. On the other hand, it would be nice to have no problems. Of course, im sure every 1's first motor has had problems and taught them engine care. :smile2:

4. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    While, i'm here i might as well shoot out another question. I'm not a mechanic so bear that in mind. When i look where the throttle goes and it it opens that flap... what is the name for that part?

Anyway, on full throttle that flap seems to be only 1/2 the way open. After talking to a friend that knows a lot about small engines (not really outboards) he said that the throttle needs to go over more to get the most out of the motor.

Is this a problem with the outboard, should i consider having it fixed so it goes wide open when on full throttle? Was it made like that as a safety precaution? Thanks.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Kevin, I'm going to give you one piece of advice that will eliminate many of your toils and tribulations. Get a manual for that motor. Without the book your poop pooing in the wind...you have no basis from where any adjustment can be made... you don't know tolerances as to how much adjustment needs to be made... you don't know if the Carb. throttle plate is supposed to be fully open or half way open. If money is tight, try your local library...many of them have manuals on microfilm you can get pages reproduced for pennies. If they don't have the manual, see if they can get a copy from Your States library system. Don't take any body's word of mouth as gospel...if you can't back it up in print, be very suspicious of what you are told.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  6. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri

I think that part is called the throttle valve. I believe half way is correct. On mine it is a flat round piece, as you advance the throttle it goes into a perpendicular position. That is wide open. If it kept going it would start to close in the other direction. I am not for sure but I don't think they made any changes to the carbs on the 9.5's

7. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    I would be willing to bet it needs a carb rebuild. Don't forget about the water pump if you don't know when it was changed last. A bad impeller can quickly fry a good outboard.

8. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    Just had another thought. It may sound silly but do you have your vent open on your gas tank. I have wondered why mine was cutting out and then realized I forgot to open the vent. Sometimes we overlook the simple stuff.

9. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can't quite remember if the vent was closed. i know if it is closed it starves the motor. boy would i love if that was the problem. :smile2:

And i think ill try to get my hands on a manual for the motor. Thanks for the help guys.

10. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina

vent was open i checked