First of '07

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by C_wernett, Apr 11, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, went out with the kids again last Saturday and Sunday up to Brice's Creek were I've been seeing a lot of gar activity. Floating small chunks of cut bait under a cork, I was able to get several strikes both days, but unable to get a solid hook-up, including on one fish that would have gone 50" easy, untill Sunday were I finally hooked up with a 24" fish. Was fishing fairly heavy cover in low water conditions so I wasn't able to bag him on my light tackle as normal, but it's nice to have one caught now.

2. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    What kind of hook set up did you use?

3. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    Nice work, And I too would like to now how/ what setup you use
    to catch them?

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Cut bait under a float, set 12-18" deep. Smallest hook I can find in the tackle box...lol Normally I fish fairly open water, and fish with light gear, but in this case there are a lot of trees and such, so I'm using a 7' med. action baitcasting rod and 12# test, no leader. Give them plent of time to get the hook deep, and use the cheapest, most fast rusting hooks you know of so they aren't bothered with a deep hook for long.

I've caught several since then, with the warmer weather, the bit has been picking up pretty good. I've also discovered that it's hard to hook them with, but they LOVE frogs!