First Look at Black & Blue Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Mr.T, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I ordered some hooks from Black & Blue earlier this week and they arrived today. Shipping was via FedEx Ground and delivery was prompt - I ordered on Monday or Tuesday and they arrived in Kansas City on Friday. My order contained a package of the 8/0 and 10/0 hooks; I didn't buy the 12/0 hooks because I have no use for something that big.

At this point, I haven't had a chance to test them out in the water yet, but here are my initial impressions of the hooks based on visual inspection and comparison to the Team Catfish 8/0 Double Action Circle Hook and the Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circle Hook:

* The 10/0 hook is almost exactly the same size as an 8/0 Team Catfish hook. The hook point to shank gap is about 1/8" less on the Team Catfish hook. It's a shame that hook size is so subjective and not held to a standard measurement - an 8/0 from one manufacturer can easily be the same general "size" as a 6/0 from another or a 10/0 from yet another. So buyer beware - bigger isn't always bigger.

* The 8/0 hook appears to be a very close copy of the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 8/0 hook, with just a few differences: On the Black & Blue hook, the eye isn't turned back, there's no offset and the point is bent back more sharply (smaller radius bend). But otherwise, they are pretty much indistinguishable - same size, same shape, almost the same point-to-shank gap.

* The points of the Black & Blue hooks don't seem nearly as sharp as either the Team Catfish or Gamakatsu hooks; I dug one into my finger pretty hard and didn't draw blood. The same experiment with a Gamakatsu make my finger leak. (Note to self: Don't do that experiment again.) Gamakatsu hooks have always had by far the sharpest point of any hook I've used, and that remains true as compared to the Black & Blue hooks.

* The eye of the Black & Blue hook is larger than either the Team Catfish or Gamakatsu hooks, which might be good for using heavier mono.

* The barb on the Black & Blue hooks is larger and sticks out at a sharper angle than the Team Catfish or Gamakatsu hooks. What difference will that make? I don't know, but it could make it more difficult to remove the hook.

I intend to give them a head-to-head comparison with the Team Catfish Double Action Circle and Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks sometime in the next month or so - I'll use each of the 3 hooks on 2 rods and keep track of how many caught, missed, foul hooked and blinded each one produces. Nothing too scientific but it'll help me decide which of the 3 hooks I'm going to use going forward.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Bigger barb also sounds like it will take more pressure to get a good hook up. Thanks Marty for a unbiased comparison.

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey fellows, while we're on the subject of comparing hooks, ever notice how the Team Catfish Double action hooks are identical to the Daiichi Circle chunk lights? I started using the Daiichi hooks first of the year. I was at Dick's Sporting goods a couple months ago and saw they carry Team Catfish stuff. Since they're a BOC sponsor, I bought some hooks and some sinker slides to try out. When I get home to put away my new merchandise, I noticed how similar the T.C.D.A. hooks were to the Daiichis I'd been using. Well low and behold the 8/0 T.C.D.A. hook is the same exact hook as the 7/0 Daiichi Circle chunk light! Also, the 5/0 hooks for both are the same though. Are they made by the same company? What do you guys know? I don't really care, just curious.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    yes that is a tti blakemore co, for more information just go to trun-turn web site and you well see all there lines

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I got some 12/0s from randy monday. (I like to think big) not shure if you checked all of your hooks for a sharp point but about half of mine were pretty darn sharp, like you said not gamakatsu sharp but not far from it (about eagle claw sharp) the other half were fair with a couple that were iffy. dont know why seems like most bulk packaged hooks are like that. the barb does look like it might be trouble might have to pinch it a little but the thing that gets me is the long shank probally just me because im used to oct. style hooks but it seems long to me. im courious to see if it doesent hook different because it should start to rotate sooner???

matzu is supposed to have some super sharp hooks. have to give those 7/0 sickle hooks a try to see

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    thanks for sharing, let us know how they perform catching fish.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Team Catfish hooks aren't just similar to Daiichi Circle Chunk Lite, they *are* Daiichi Circle Chunk Lite. Both are products of TTI Blakemore as pointed out previously.

The difference? Team Catfish hooks are cheaper: $4.00 for 3 Daiichi hooks at Cabelas, $11.95 for 12 Team Catfish hooks direct from www.teamcatfish.com.

I used the Daiichi hooks at one point a couple of years ago but couldn't stomach paying more than $1.25 for each hook. Team Catfish hooks are quite a bit cheaper so I've started using them. But they're still more than twice as expensive as the new Black & Blue hooks and quite a bit more expensive than Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks. Of course, they're significantly different hooks with different purposes also.

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Marty, thanks for the info. I'll be buying more hooks from Team Catfish in the future. It's a no-brainer; same hooks, cheaper hooks, BOC sponsor hooks!

9. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    i understand wanting to compare hooks id love to hear results...
    my gaps are bigger i made sure of it ... my hooks have a bigger gap did it on purpose ,and my hooks are true circle hooks not some fresh water bass hook designed to catch catfish circle hooks have always worked with out fixing them only problem we had was they were to thick and to smalll

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I don't know, Randy - there's really no appreciable difference in the gap between your 8/0 hook and the Gamakatsu 8/0 -- about .5mm to be exact. Not really "bigger" I don't guess.

It's also interesting that the Daiichi Circle Chunk Lite "7/0" hook is the same size (exact same hook, actually) as the Team Catfish "8/0" hook and the same size as the Black & Blue "10/0" hook (the B&B hook has a longer shank than the other two however).

How in the world do hook manufacturers determine what size their hooks are? Must be up to the marketing folks, I guess, to assign a size that will make the hook sell the best... :roll_eyes:

Here are a couple of images from my scanner -- the first is a comparison of the gaps between the B&B 8/0 and the Gamakatsu 8/0; the second is an overall size comparison between the B&B 10/0 and the Team Catfish 8/0. I think the photos speak for themselves.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Can someone please explain to me why we need a larger gap then what is currently offered By gama, and team catfish.

and what makes these bass hooks?????

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Boy Randy from what I just seen I don't know about that.

13. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    you dont know about what what are you talking about number one look how many hooks you get for the price 12/0 circles 25 of them for 12 bucks lol
    '
    if you need to spend more money please do i make my hooks i dont buy them from tti at 7/0 size call them 8/0 and put team catfish on them my hooks are made buy me i manufacture them the difference in a little wider gap makes a hugh differance i dont understand what you guys wan t to see try them out if you like them great if you dont thats great also but crazy you make tons of post about sponcers products and you dont try them like another post you made about my rods being to pretty what the hell was that about how does a good looking rod not perform as well as an ugly rod,............ look guys im just trying to add to tackle boxes what we have been looking for my hooks are indeed true circles compare them to an owner or another company that makes the same style ........ ok ill do this ill make a hook that looks just like the red hooks in question and then you can compare those ................. i m just trying to make people smile im not trying to start a freakin hook war lololol thanx for all the post though it helps me in find what people are really looking for

14. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    also guys when you are compareing hooks you compare the hooks point to the inner most wire not the frame of the hook lol if you lone up a tti hook you will see that my wire is far to the right i just finished talking with my guys and we will have a natalius (tti) hook in about 3 weeks samples in 1 so we can compare those

15. Capt. Hugh

Capt. Hugh New Member

State:
    VA
    I have used about every hook out there, the B&B 10 and 12/0 looks have increased my and my clients catch ratio, the bigger barb penatrates easy and stays there, very hard for a catfish to get off, The wide gap hooks fish a little farther back again making it harder for them to get off. Great hooks, TRY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's no question the gap is wider on your 10/0 hook as compared to the 8/0 Team Catfish hook - I lined them up one on top of the other in the photo I posted above because that arrangement makes for a good overall comparison between the two hooks. And overall, they're pretty much the same size, just a little bit different shape, which was what I was trying to point out.

My comments about 7/0, 8/0 and 10/0 all being essentially the same really just bring to light the fact there is absolutely *no* standard for measuring hook size -- it's up to each manufacturer to assign a size to their hooks and nobody can tell them they're wrong.

I still fully intend to give the B&B hooks a good workout but it won't be before the end of the month. If they catch more fish, I'll make a permanent switch and use them on all my rods; if not, I won't. Either way, I'll post the results here when I have them.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well randy i personally love the 12/0s i got from you i havent got any thing big on them yet but i havent missed one on them yet either. and the 12/0 are definitaly bigger than an 8/0 gamma. oh yea the barb doesnt make it harder to get the hook out.

Attached Files:

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am still waiting on those hooks to arrive so I can try them but, I can honestly say "I have tried many different styles and, sizes of circle hooks and, I will give these a fair shot".
    The main point here is that Randy has came out with a thin wire circle hook that is bigger than any other thin wire hook on the market.
    Try getting a 12/0 hook from anywhere else that has a thin wire shank....You won't find them, at least I have never seen any on the market.

19. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mr.T,

I understand where your coming from there is no standard on circle hooks I have ask my reps and no one can give you an answer most of the time they would rather no talk about it