First lake Gaston trip

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SUNDROP, Aug 6, 2007.

1. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I had my first trip to Gaston last week. Stayed at a buddies place in Americamps in Bracey and used his bass boat so i didnt have to haul my clunker up from NC.
    Got a 6am start Thursday and went to the railroad bridge near I-85 since I knew nothing about the area. Fishing in 20-25ft of water with crawlers and bream on slip bobbers set from 5-15ft and bottom rigs on bottom (of course)
    Caught a bunch of little bream on my ultralight with wigglers fishing right up against the bridge pilings when lo and behold BAM! Something took off deep with my little 6lb test and ddint want to turn around!!! I fought him for a few minutes gaining a little ground and losing some with each run but I stayed cool and wore him down and got him to the boat! 26" Flattie... made for good fun on my UL gear. rebaited, and in 10min. BAM here we go again!! I think I caught his twin then over the next 45 min I caught a 24" cousin and a 21" sister !!!! All on the UL floating red wigglers 5ft deep right up against the pilings.All caught from 7-8am. I moved my big rigs in hoping to get granddaddy but nothing would touch them with bream live/cut or nightcrawlers. heat got the best of me at Noon and I came in.
    Fri 5am I was ready to go and the starter gear on my friends boat went south so I had to make do with the private dock. ( I was pizzed!!! I called him and explained to him that boats do require maintainence!!) He has a nice Stratos bass boat he bought at a steal and only uses it for skiing and tubing because he doesn't fish!!!!!)
    Anyway, Caught several nice panfry whites/channels, alot of small bream and hooked what looked to be a 30" striper that threw the hook back at me 20ft from the dock. I say 30" but thats with fishermans eyes so it might have been a keeper at least...LOL I catch and release stripers but I would have liked a picture first!!
    Had a good time at Americamps, everyone was friendly and the water looks good. I look forward to venturing out more and getting familiar with the lake.
    maybe some of ya'll can meet up and show me around next time. I don't expect to see your "honeyholes" just a good guide to what works where....
    Cats?Crappie?Stripers it's all good!!!!

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Looks like you had a good time.

Katmaster Jr fishes Gaston alot, you might want to touch base with him if you want additional info.

I've been out there once, with no luck. But I plan on getting to Gaston again before too long.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Brent,

Thanks for the great fishing report!

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like ya had a great time and got a few kittys also. Congrats on the catches.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sounds like a good time, however I really don't think what you caught were Flatheads, they seem to be pretty much unheard of in Gaston. I mean there has been a few caught up at the dam from rumors I've heard but I just don't think that's what you got.

We've been out the past few days as well, caught a TON of Blue cats from 5-10 pounds, fishing at night into late morning with slip bobbers in areas where there's mostly about 5ft of water to where it goes down to 20-30 and 60ft not far away, so basically we are fishing an area with every depth around it you can imagine, but we are getting the fish in the 15-20ft range with bobbers set from 6ft deep to about 12ft.

6. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I admit, they looked more like blues but I am used to a cleaner looking color than these had. The anal fin looked like blues as well.... Color could be due to heat/water conditions. They didnt have the giant heads I'm used to seeing either so I think your right, they were blues. Definately not channel cats. Wife has pics so I'll post them....

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, they are probably Blue's, although I can't say I'm 100 percent sure they are not flatheads, it is possible, please do try to post the pictures though, I'm curious to see what they are.

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Finally got pics of the catch and the cabin. These look dark for blues so I thought they were flatheads..But heads look small....They were fun on that ultralite!

Attached Files:

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Tough call, look like channels to me.

The anal fin looks longer than most channels, but not as long and straight as most blues.

10. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Congrats on a good trip. It would be easier to tell if we saw the pictures of the two 26" fish that were caught that looked like flatties. I went up to gaston the same weekend. We ran 9 limblines and 6 jugs and ended up with 9 fish ranging from a 1/2 pound bullhead to a 15 lb blue. All on live bream. I never checked a limbline that had bait on it. We only ran them twice though. The lines were all in 3-7 ft of water and near dropoffs down to about 30'. The fishliar showed fish stacked on those drops during the day so maybe it wasn't lieing this time. Good luck to you all.