First Hog Finally caught - Central Texas

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Jun 3, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Have had traps out for over 6 months....one guillotine style and one HUGE round springed door style. We have had a ton of activity on our land but the guillotine style kept acting up and couldnt get anything in the spring door style..kind aleft the traps unbaited and tied shut for a few months. Went and re adjusted the spring so it wouldnt be so hard to get in the trap and loaded it up with corn and not 12 hours later had 250 lb sow and 2 piglets in it.

anybody else have in luck in Erath County or other wise

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh yeah...my friend not 10 miles away has caught them up to 480 lbs on his place with out trying lol..story of my life..too much effort, too little in return

3. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a couple swinging door traps and one figure six trap I have going at my lease in Caldwell County. Hogs are funny sometimes. When I first set the figure six trap it took them almost five weeks to start walking into it. Now the swing door traps were catching hogs after the first week. Now of course I bait the traps and will tie the doors open until they get comfy coming in. Then I will set the triggers. The biggest one I have caught was a lone boar in my big swing door trap. He weighed out at 372lbs on my hanging scale. PM me if you need any tips or help with your set ups.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well...that was the leanest toughest pig ive ever ate lol..my teeth still hurt

5. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Some of them bigger hogs don't eat so well with out a lot of work. I normally will soak the big boars in an ice chest with ice, water, and salt. I will let it brine for about 3 to 4 days making sure to change the water and add ice and salt every day. And even then I will usually use the big bores for grinding sausage.

Now I have some of the small pigs from the last trap I checked, that are in the 5-6lbs range now that are marinating in some butter milk. I cut them up and plan on frying them like chicken. Add some fried taters and this should be one heck of a meal this evening.

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we have had a few bigger than this from my friends trap that ate damn good, but this one was just so incredibly lean. your the second person today to tell me about the buttermilk..i have personally never tried it but with 4 big bags of meat in the freezer i think i can afford to give it a shot lol,

apparently my dad is goign to feed out the two piglets he caught...not sure how well that is going to work..never had to try and tame one down with out a gun before

7. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Its not that bad. Just depends on how big there are when you start feeding them out. I have fed out several of the smaller ones. Usually they will start to relax around you once they get used to the idea that seeing you means its feeding time. Once you get them fed out to the size you all want enjoy. They will be some good eats.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    The trap is tied open now..going to give that a shot, ill let ya know how it works out

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    trap hs been open almost a week..going to shut it today or tomorow...will let yall know how it goes

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    try adding some vinegar when you soak them in the cooler. it tends to tenderize it too. add a cup for each gallon. if the meat starts turning purple, decrease the vinegar. i chill mine for 5 days and replace water and ice daily.
    those little pigs tame up purty quick but can get mean later on. they will definitely eat though, and that's all they need to do. i caught a little 3 pounder during deer season that just hated me. but it would follow my buddy's wife around the house like a dog and eat from her hand. i don't know if that's a good or bad thing...