first hello...

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Capt. JT, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    New to the site and just wanted to say hay to you all.

I just got back from a rescue mission on lake marion this weekend and the draw of the santee cats has some how got its grips in me....

good or bad I'm not for sure??? got some pretty good pictures so guess I'll tell the story.

Part 1-

I good buddy of mine's dad and granddad were always going on fishing trips to santee for as long as I can remember back. The two of them eventually got a house boat and it has been passed down through the family since. I've been several times with my friend dave fishing on the boat but it has been quite a while.... great times & great memories. since then Dave had moved the boat from polly's after the new owners took over. had the boat anchored off at lower falls last year & when the water got low it was stranded high and dry till after he had to hit the road to get back to his work.

fast forward to a week ago....

Dave now does outage work and is gone for months at a time. Talking on the phone with he tells me the news, "man, the scdnr is going to take my boat and scrap it if I don't get it moved to a marina & the motor won't run". I'm thinking o s*** when he says, " I've got an extension but don't have till the end of the month and I can't get home for six". I quickly tell him, " I've got a plan!"..."i'll just run right down there and tow it with my skiff for ya" "won't be no problem at all". (someone makes commit about famous last words lol)

:smile2:

Saturday morning me and my wife hit the road from holden beach, nc with the J-16 in tow. got to santee in good time. made the stop at the bait shop and got scored a hotspot chart for the journey... yea the lake looked A LOT bigger coming across 95 than what I had remembered. got to lower falls and found the boat floating right across from the ramp where it was supposed to be.... things are going great!
    [​IMG]

check out the chart....:eek:oooh:.....:crazy:...this can't be right??? sure looks like a long way to lakeside marina. O well time to check out the boat...

part 2 to come.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    *sidenote

looks like alot of people might be in a bind. does anyone know if the scdnr are giving all these people the run down about there places? cool fish camps either way...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome aboard Jon, glad your here.

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Welcome to the Boc :wink:

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Welcome to the BOC, Jon! With the size of that post, looks like you'll have plenty to contribute!:smile2:

5. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Welcome to the BOC Jon and thanks for your post and pics.

6. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    Thanks everyone!

O yea! I have dedicated the last 9 years of my life to saltwater fishing now its time to get back to the basics. hope I can be of some usefulness or if nothing else, the entertainment. lol

does anyone know how to embed images in post like from photobucket [​IMG]

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jon. Good pics and story. Did ya get the rescue done?

8. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC Jon. Looking forward to part 2 of the story.

9. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    Thanks again for the warm welcome guys!

Part 2-

When I left off the last post we had just found the boat and things could not be going better... should have know that was a bad omen.:cool2:

got the skiff put in the water and made our way across to house boat. pulled along side and made my way accross the rail to see what I would be dealing with. I could see the front plexa-glass door was broke out. wrote across the top of what was left of the door was a note wrote on what was left of the plexi- "sorry, boat snak in storm, was life or death" I think to myself, at least they left a note. Well, as soon as my weight gently rocked the boat it started..... a quick buzzing quickly turned into a rumble that I sware was viberating the whole boat. "d***", "LOOKOUT.. WASPS!". needless to say we had to exit stage left in quite a hurry. Back to the landing and straight to the store. A hour later we try again, this time armed with a mulitude of poison and sprays.:wink: time for our invasion!

Attached Files:

10. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    after a hard fought battle with god knows how many wasps and a huge hive of bumble bees I was finally able to get hook up to the boat and get it pulled over to the ramp to do a good check before we start or tow. Turns out that not only did the bees set up camp on board a huge water moccasin had also set up residence. "holy cow! what have we gotten into?"

a good hour of poking around with a stick and several evacuations later we had regained control of the boat. I felt as if I had captured the battle... heck I must be a hero or something. well after finally looking around I quickly found out I was not so much a hero, more like the best entertainment the locals have had at the landing in quite some time.:embarassed:
    it was almost 6:30 in the evening when we finally got pulled out of low falls into the river. It was our first time that far up the lake and i was quite surprised at the beauty of it as the river opens up it to the lake and the cypress tress begin to thin away to open water. we made our way fairly good and decided to tie up before we got on the open water of the lake for the night and make the rest of the tow in the morning.

Attached Files:

11. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    couple more pics and the final resting spot for the night...

Attached Files:

12. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Nice post Jon---and welcome!!

13. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    got to take the wife out to eat so I leave the final installment of my little adventure for later, saty tuned.:big_smile:

14. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    Day two-Part 3 the finish line

Put the skiff in at lakeside marina and started the run back to the houseboat for the final leg. Took a good half-hour to get there running hard so I knew it was going to be a long day. After getting to the boat I could not believe my eyes… mayfly invasion! The whole back of the boat looked like that dirty kid from charley brown & the peanuts that had the cloud of flies swarming around him. Thank goodness these don’t bite and after getting away from the trees they quickly dispersed. We made our way on down the channel, then made for the side in front of the state park. With what seemed like the worst behind us, it would be smooth sailing from here on… it just seemed like it was on the slow boat to china. We couldn’t have asked for a nicer day to be on the water. The slow trip really gave us time to enjoy the scenery along the way. Got to see a couple fish get caught, several skiers and tubers, kids enjoying summer on a rope swing, sunbathers on the little beaches along the bank, & of course some stumps (some got a real good look) lol

Attached Files:

15. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    some more-

Attached Files:

16. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    +3

Attached Files:

17. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC

After a little over 5hrs towing and 8gals of gas we finally made it to lakeside marina and then the real fun began… cleaning of the boat. “O BOY” several hours and a pick-up truck later, we finally got it back in decent shape and put in a slip. Getting late in the day, we loaded the skiff and hit the road home as quick as we could. Somewhere along 378 at about 10 o-clock in the middle of no-where it happened. Broke the leaf spring, tire went into the fender and blew. Had to get a roll back wreaker to tow it to Florence as we continued home for work the next morning. Two days, an extra 4 hours driving, and a $900 new trailer later my adventure had finally came to an end. What an adventure! The only thing that keep echoing in my head were my famous last words, “i'll just run right down there and tow it with my skiff for ya" "won't be no problem at all". While this might have ran off a smarter person, it has only reignited my passion for freshwater fishing even more and provided me with a great project to make it happen. I’ve already located a new motor for the houseboat and plan on being back to santee in a week to start the restoration with a really good cleaning & a new paint job. I know it’s not going to happen overnight, but in a few months I’m hoping to return “HORNE’S ARK” to its former glory and become a regular on the lake. Can’t wait to meet up with some of you on the lake and start to terrorize Mr. Whiskers.
    :big_smile:

Attached Files:

18. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Welcome to the B.O.C.

19. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    +3

Attached Files:

20. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC
    and last, the soon to be refurbished cabin...

Attached Files: