First grass carp on the fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by AZflats, Dec 2, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Check out this beauty I caught yesterday in the little pond near my house. She was rooting around in some brush when I got a cast right near her nose and she inhaled it.

I used a small black ant. The rod I used was a 4 wt with a 6 # tippet. Needless to say she took me for a ride. The fight lasted for nearly 15 minutes and it got me into the backing twice...

What a blast, I am guessing about 10-12 lbs.
    A~

Attached Files:

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    awesome catch man congrats!

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thats awesome! I fought one of those things for 1.5 hours on 4 pound test before... didn't get a weight as it snapped at the bulkhead :crazy: , but it was around 4 feet long with lots of witnesses...

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice catch Andy. Thanks for sharing the pics.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Andy THat had to be some kind of fun congrats:cool2:

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I bet that was a blast

7. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    Wow.. Nice Fish....

A few years ago I was useing Night Crallers with my Fly Rod.. The Grass Carp were sucking them up and by time I got home my right shoulder was killing me.. Ahh that was a nice day .. And not a sole in sight to see my madness... LOL:smile2:

8. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    congrats, ive always wanted to catch one on a fly.

theres a bunch in my local church pond that feed heavly after they cut the grass around the pond since the cut grass blows into the pond. ive even made up a few grass looking flies. but they wont let me fish in there since the grass carp were about 20 bucks a peice since they bought them from a fish hatchery. oh well

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    you pratice CPR dont you? tell em that and tell em your just tryin to have a little fun and put an inosent look on your face:tounge_out:

10. mcronican

mcronican New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Theres a decent sized pond in my neighborhood where there are probably about 20 or so carp in the 5-10 lb range that swim in schools of 5 or 6, haven't got one on the fly yet but after seeing yours I'm motivated to try a little harder, how'd it fight?

11. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    They are alot of fun to catch.I caught 1 at rock cut state park that had to go at least 20 pds.Any way,congrats on the catch brother.

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    A beast on the lite rig I was using.. The Amor fought back for at least 15 minutes. Since then, I have caught some nice commons that have realy taken me for a ride...

Good luck~

13. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    WOW what a bruiser. I hooked a grass carp in a local pond on a brown wooly worm,(one i tied myself, been tyin since i was ten), that was as long as my pant leg. Would guess somewhere around 30lbs. Put her back though, gotta keep the pond clean. You can catch them on the surface i've heard when the cotton trees are blowin, little WHITE flys, but never had a chance to bust the myth.

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i bet that was fun haulin that bad boy in! the guy at my local fly shop was tellin me how fun chasin them is...i'm gonna have to give it a try!!!