First gold

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Bobpaul, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've found a few pices of silver jewelry, rings, charms, and pendants, and plenty of coins, but never gold before today.

This morning's hunt produced a toy tractor, a 4 wheel drive toy truck, 3 ear rings of different sizes, 2.24 in coins, 1 egg sinker and a gold ring with an initial. Is it a "W" or an "M"? I guess it depends on if your name's Willard or Mary.

The ring is setting on a scale. It weighs 2 grams and marked 417. I think that's 14K.

Attached Files:

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Congrats on your finds. At least you know now that you can get the golds!

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
  4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

That is really cool. These metal detecting threads are really making me want to buy a metal detector.

SudDawg

5. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great finds!!!!!

I am an avid arrowhead hunter myself. I plain to get my first metal detector this fall (I'm thinking ace-250) and couple this up with my arrowhead hunting. I am a huge history nut and know where many old home sites and old waggon trails exist...this could yield some good finds...not to mention they shut the swimming beach down here in Oct and people are always losing stuff there....its about a 2 mile walk and I'm about the only one that will walk it just to look around. cant wait to get my MD and get after it.....good luck all............

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks just like the ring my wife Wilma lost there where you were looking. :tounge_out:

Bet that's fun.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats great Bobpaul! Your doing great with that. How often do you go out? How far from home do you venture out? I got to get one of those for my dad and one for myself too! Sounds like fun! I was looking at some, that show you whats under ground and tell you what it's made of!

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    THATS MINE! THANX! LOL! Kinda looks like a new reel to me. LOL!

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It turns out that 417 is the Europian mark for 10K gold.

I've decided it's an "M" so Wilma's out of luck and Big George, you weren't even considered. My daughter "M"arie will love it.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bob aint you got nothing better to do then dig around in the ground all day long. :lol:

Good finds there but that letter in there was a W I lost thet ring before I had my sex change operation. :beauty: :cry:

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba, it's called "Dirt Fishin'".

I ain't sayin' a word 'bout the operation:crazy:

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Phil, getting one for you and your dad would be great. A word of caution though, you need a good arm for indurance. These things weigh just a few pounds and seem very light to hold. Working them requires constant movement, slow motion swinging them back and forth.

When a target is found, more work is required. Bending at the waist, kneeling, digging a small hole or sifting a scoop of sand. You know your dad's capabilities. You can get him a machine, or just take him with you to enjoy the companionship.

I can walk a beach and find things for most of the day. It's easy digging and slow walking, and you can't beat the solitude. It takes a while to develop endurance, technique and patience to cover an area completely. Learning your particular machine and deciding on what's the easiest digging tools to use for the site your detecting is part of enjoying a good dirt fishing trip.

A sifting scop I use in in the sand

Most detectors have some types of adjustments to discriminate items of poor quality and iron/ferros trash, or eliminate the noise interferance of mineralized soil, also known as ground balancing. It can get confusing.

If your serious about doing it, I've got a detector with an LED meter that will hunt wet sand or dry and most soils. Just turn on and hunt. It takes 2, 9v batt's, comes with earphones to save on the batt's and better detection of targets. It's an MPX 3, that you can see at a site called Kellyco. You'll see the price there and a review of the machine. I have no need for it any more and you can have it for 100.00 + shipping. Let me know in a PM. I found my first silver ring and many coins with it.

Attached Files:

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jeez thanks BP that is my graduation ring from William and Mary College!!!:tounge_out: :wink: :cool2: Lost it on the beach in NC this past week end.I'll pay postage for its return.:big_smile: :lol:pS I was poor in college so only could afford one initial.You have to rotate it to get W&M.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks Jim, your a genious. Clever idea rotating the ring.

BTW, how's it feel to loose your graduation ring to a sucker like me.:lol: