First gar of 2007

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by catman529, May 14, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Finally I got one. Not a bad size, a little under 30 inches. I didn't take any measurements. After that a big one came up by the bank and I let it run about 75 yards downstream before swinging the rod and missing the fish. [DARN kahles don't work on gar]

This one wasn't even hooked. The line was caught in his teeth, not to mention I had a steel leader on there but its teeth caught the line above the leader. When I saw that I pulled it up on the bank as fast as I could.

Next time I will be using Kahles with frayed rope, like a combination of cutbait and rope lure.

Tight lines

Attached Files:

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    what do ya ll do with gar do you eat em or throw em back? I hope I aint been doin the wrong thing If I happen to catch one I break it's mouth and throw it back

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    wow..lol break their mouths huh...

ive heard of people eating them... i heard they are really good tho... u just have to know how to cook em up......

id just throw em back i wouldnt break their mouths.....

ANYWAYS isnt that like wanton waste or something of that sort

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    man don't break their mouths...throw em back and let em swim if your not gonna keep em...they were swimming before catfish existed...

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Caught my first gar yesterday. They had been frustrating me all night. I was fishing for cats, and didn't have any rope. They hit every piece of cut shad I threw out. Finally foul hooked one as he was running with my bait. It's early for them to be so heavy in the river where I'm fishing. The water is low and very warm. I'm going to have to put some rope in the tackle box, and pray for rain.

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    What's with the rope? never fished for gar, they dont have down here, but do you just hope the rope tangels in there jaws? Also, dont waste fish, it doesnt matter the fish, people here catch and slaughter carp, for what. Let them be. Why waste a natural resource? That is pretty stupid in my mind.

7. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas

If you unwind nylon rope, and use it as a lure, the gar will bite it, and their teeth get tangled in the strands. No hook required.

8. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    see next post [mistake]

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  10. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Most people I know kill the gar they catch around here :eek:oooh:

11. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    if they're not eatin them tell them to stop. those gar are like any other fish in the river or lake, except they probably existed before catfish did.

12. gerbjello

gerbjello New Member

State:
    york, pa
    i have to agree why kill a fish for no good reason. i never fished for gar but i would love to have a chance. i heard the argument that is hurts the other game fish pop. but i would rather catch a big gar than alot of bass