First Flattie of '08

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well last night I hit the Colorado river and got my first flathead of the year. Yesterday there was a slight over cast. My buddy took off work early to look for some gills for bait. He ended up with 14 gills and we got the pontoon on the river at about 6:45pm. We'd discussed some spots that we wanted to hit earlier in the week. the first spot yeilded nothing. After sitting there for approx 45 min, we moved to spot number two. This spot was a nice pocket on the main channel of the river, about 40 yds wide going up into some vegetation with a pretty good current just outside. We anchored just inside the current and set our lines on both sides of the boat. After about twenty minutes, I moved my live gill for the second time and BAM! I got a nice run and pulled it in rather easily. It wasnt the biggest by any stretch but it was nice to finally see one this year:wink:.

NOW HERE IS SOME IMPORTANT INFO! Between myself, my buddy, my son and daughter and another couple, we had approx 9 lines in the water. I made it a point to try some of the tips that CatMatt and Flathunter have listed in their threads.

1. We approached each spot very quietly. We cut the engine and coasted in to the spots and carefully set our anchors.

2. No lights directly on the water.

3. Something I did different from everyone else on the boat was i picked my bait up every 10-20 minutes and moved it about a foot. When I got the hit and run, it was actually when I moved my bait. I pick it up and as I was moving it, the flattie hit and the little battle was on:smile2:.

This was the only fish of the night because shortly after, the wind picked up out of nowhere and moved us around like we had no anchors at all!! It got so windy that we had to get off the river. So thanks to the BOC for more education on catching some catfish:wink:!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the first Flattie of '08! I'm still waiting to get my first bite of the year, let alone catch one. I have only been out once though. Hopefully I'll feel like getting back out before long!

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Congrats on the catch. Those guys might be on to something.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Congrats on the first flat of your new year, just goes to show ya that the brothers know what their talking about. :wink::cool2:
    Hope you catch more.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Congrats! I'm ready for my first too!

6. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    congrats on the first of 08 im ready for my first cat of the year the boys have got me out done so far. :confused2:

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Dameon,
    "Way To Go"! :big_smile: "Congratulations"!
    It just good to hear that you got your first Flattie of the year on the Colorado
    River.
    :wink:

By the way - At you planing on coming to the AZ/CA Gathering that :worship:Dale will be giving this year?
    :0a23:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good job on the first of the year and thanks for the info. Hope you get many more!

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Bert,
    Im planning on attending the gathering. I have been following the thread and the last I saw, there were plans for changing the date? I'll have to check it again.

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Dameon if you go the bait store at Lake Martinez you can see pics of those huge flathead they have caught there on the colorado around the same area. I think the size of your flatheads are going to get a lot larger, your fishing an extremely good spot for flats. My suggestion if you start having trouble finding them theres a guide service at the boat repair shop next to the bait shop that should be able to help you out. You might not need it. I wish I was fishing the waters you are now that I have a boat. Good luck I bet you break your PB this year and then some.

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Cool"! :cool2:

Now you know that you have to try to put me on some of the River Flatties down there and show me some of those tips Buddy.
    :wink:

Bert

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    Good job and i cant waite for the water to warm up over here so i can do the same
    by the way i used to fish the colorado myself in the imperial valley
    good fishing there

13. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    nice flatty wish i could caught my 08 flatty ever thang here is frozen lol

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    hopefully by then I'll know what Im doing:smile2:!

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats on your first catch of the year. I think most of us are in anticipation of catching our first. Old man winter you need to go away now.......:roll_eyes:

16. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Reps o;n the catch, there is half a foot of snow on the ground here......:sad2:

17. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrads on the flattie and thanks for your service

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    COOL, congrats on the first flathead of "08" bro.!

19. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on your first flat i 08 bro keep em coming.

20. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catch..