First flattie...and looking for night fishing advice

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Fivebraids, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I posted a pic of my wife Denise's first flattie a few weeks ago.

Well after spending yesterday on the river, now I get to post MY FIRST FLATTIE! :smile2:

P1020295.jpg

It sure ain't a monster...probably 10 lbs or less...but it's a flattie!

Denise and I hit the Altamaha often, but we've always gone after channels. We think it's time to change tactics and tackle/bait and start going after flatties more!

Maybe one of you guys that fishes the Altamaha at night can give us a few pointers, since we've never been on the river after dark. Heck, maybe we can meet up with some of you and you can give us some pointers in person...:wink:

Weather permitting, we're thinking about trying our first night on the river next weekend. Now, where did I put those spotlights...and the bug spray...and...hmm, what else do we need...?

- Marty n Denise -

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Nice one Marty!

3. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Great job Marty. I am still green and new at working this river. I wish there was more I can tell ya on night time navigation. I have been hanging with Armycatfish , Ben and Dustin. These guys have taught me allot so far and is so greatly appreciated.

Anytime we have been is in finding a sandbar or other fixed object and stay the night and come off the water the next morning or even around lunchtime. Hoping to soon learn how to navigate some in the night time. I do use a small hand held GPS and put Velcro on the back and stuck it to an area on the boat I can see and still handle the navigation part.

Once you make your run to where your going and or putting out limb lines..... you can run the same track line all night with in 3 ft of any other track that you have laid out... so at night will help you along with a good light keep you allot safer in moving around esp with logs, stumps and trees out all over the place making Waypoints to where stuff is at and will keep you from hitting them.

Hope to hook with ya soon one day and share some stories. I am sure there will be plenty with lots of information on here that will help ya.

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Congrats Marty:wink:
    Got my first one a couple of weeks ago also on a live brim,,, was fun..read through this post, there is a ton of great info in it,,,its not Altamaha specific but it should be help...
    Puddle:big_smile:
    Good luck next weekend...
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85941

5. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Greg,

Denise and I have been talking and I think what we're planning is to run to an area we'd be happy with for the night, dropping a pair of anchors and staying put. We might move around a little within a single cove, but not much more than that. Trying to move around any great distance on that river at night just doesn't seem like a very safe thing to do. We'll have a few powerful spotlights with us, but even so...

I'm not too sure about setting up on a sandbar either. The thought of dozing off waiting for the clickers to sound and being woke up by a gator looking for a snack would probably kill the fun of the night! :eek:oooh:

A portable GPS does sound like a good idea! My phone has GPS built in, but it needs access to a cell tower to display maps. And as you probably already know, there ain't no working cells once you leave Jaycee's!

As for hooking up, we'd both like to meet you too! Depending on the track that "Hanna" takes, we're planning to make it down either Friday or Saturday afternoon and then stay the night. We'll keep you posted in case you might be able to come down and meet up with us.

Oh by the way, Denise wants to know how bad the bugs are on the river at night...

Thanks!

Congrats on YOUR first!

I've been following every post in that very helpful thread! Thanks!

- Marty -

6. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    howdy marty and congrats on the flatty. one of these weekends we will all have to get together i fish with greg often but always more are welcome. i do alot more running the river in the dark then most are comfortable with but i have spent countless hours on it. that is my first bit of advice run the area in the day and memorize where you dont wanna run.

As for places to fish i would be happy to show you some areas that have produced for me. Of coarse as sunday night with greg went although in one of my more productive areas no fish were caught there that night but we still did catch i think 5 flats. remember the flats are gonna go where the bait fish go and typicaly at night that is shallow and against banks. gives the bait fish fewer directions to watch for predators.

We run outa jaycees landing which typicaly has goldfish for sale as bait. i prefer bream but they tend to not live near as well as the goldfish you have to realy take care of bream. depending on the current in the area i like to hook my bait in the back behind the dorsal fin. however if the current is too great then i will go through the eyes. The KEY to flats is LIVE bait.

As for the bugs most night they are not too too bad but some bug spray is a good idea. Also therma cells work great. As for other equipment other than tackle and bait a decent head lamp can be extremely useful. and extra batteries haha dealt with that one last weekend. a good spotlight is useful but tends to bring you a face full of bugs real quickly when you are moving down the river. also the gators are very thin in that area

Any way i kinda lost my place and down want to repeat myself if you have any other guestioned please feel free to ask and i hope to get together in the future. However this coming Saturday is the dove opener so i will not be fishing.

7. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jon,

Thanks for the offer. We hope to be able to take you up on it soon!

Again, thanks for the offer to share a few spots.

I was reading a thread in the Flathead forum today that talks about just that...fish shallow at night. We'll definetly be taking that advice to heart!

Given the shallow water advice, we're thinking just about any of the many sand banks on the bends in the river would be productive. Does it matter if we're on the up river or down river side of the bend? I guess we'll find out.

At least fishing shallow, instead of day fishing around all the downed trees in the deep holes we've found, should mean a lot less hangups and lost rigs!

And given that we'll be fishing shallow, it might just be easier to pick a nice long sandbar, beach the boat and set up camp...sorta like we saw you and Greg do a few weeks ago...

That flatty I shared a picture of was caught on a pretty big goldfish that I had hooked exactly as you advise. I picked up two pounds of them before launching. They're pretty proud ($$$) of the goldfish, but they seem to work, and as you say they stay alive pretty darn good! I have an aerator coming this week that I intend to use in a 5 gal bucket so I can use my livewell for any flatties we decide to keep.

I imagine a spot light will bring a face full of bugs quickly. But how else can we motor on the river in the dark? Experience or not, you gotta be able to see...?

Question on those headlamps...I've seen them with normal 'white' lites, red lites, or a selectable combination of red and white. I've even seen them with 'black' lites. Which do you prefer?

Thanks again for the response...we hope to be able to hook up with you one of these nights and thank you in person.

Now if only Hurricane Hanna stays far enough out to sea so that we CAN get on the river this weekend...

Oh, and good luck with the doves! :wink:

- Marty n Denise -

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I always heard the red light does'nt spook animals. Probably the same for fish. The combo is what I would get. Good luck this weekend!

9. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yup Paul, I've been reading on here and folks say that the red light also helps since it doesn't affect nite vision as badly as turning on a white lite.

Guess I'll be sending Denise to Walmart for a pair of those combo red/white ones, since we don't have time to order online and get them here by the weekend.

Thanks...
    - Marty -

10. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i have multiple different colors as well as white regular bulb and led. colors in general dont destroy your night vision the ones you have seen at walmart work great my buddy armycats uses one. and its nice to have the white light you never know when you will need it as for runing yes a spot light is the way to go i tend to make a sweep with mine then let it off for a few then another quick sweep keeps me from eating (AS MANY) bugs