First Flatie of 2008

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by uttatoo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    went out about 7:00pm and fished with my son and mother in law
    we sat for about a hour at a hole in the arkansas river then it all started i had all 3 of my poles bend over at the same time how wierd is that caught 2 turtles and a 15lb flatie wasnt very long but sure was fat the picture my mother in law took wasnt the best but here you go

Attached Files:

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks

3. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice chubby flathead man. What were you using for bait?

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    about a 6inch carp

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    now that i know the fish are out i will be fishing very seriosly from now till october

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Damn Gus , youve got all the good bait out there. I cant find 6 inch carps up here to save my life. We dont even see bullheads very much any more. :sad2:

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    around here in barton county i catch carp bullhead and shap every where i go they are everywhere

8. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    Do you like using those carp Gus for set lines and rod/reel? I use fresh cut carp on my trot lines and catch a lot of channel cats on it at Hillsdale. But, I have heard flathead love them!! I usually use bullhead, sunfish, shad, and bluegill on my set lines and rod/reel for flatties. :confused2:

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    man if you can catch carp as big as a lb or smaller they are great for set lines and i use them cut and alive on my trotlines and for rod and reel i use carp even the channel cats will tear them up

10. Circlehook Jester

State:
    Kansas
    Good stuff Gus! I will give it a try if I can get me some carp. :tounge_out:

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i am just glad to meet a member like you that set lines like myself it sure is fun to have a 5olbplus fish on the end of a line in your hand

12. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey nice flathead gus! Keep it up.

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thank you i hope to do better after the cold front leaves maybe i will have good luck on my trot line i set out today also checked it before dark and had two carp missing so i rebaited and came home will check it early morning

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congratulations Gus! You aint the only one who got a flatty today. Its also my first one of the year. Not as big as yours but still a good sign. It is time! Caught mine on a 5 inch perch and he weighed almost 5 pounds. Big bait for such a small flathead. They are HUNGRY!

Attached Files:

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    hell of a deal maybe soon we can fish together just give me a call when this cold front moves out and we can get together

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice flat Kyle.:big_smile:

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on catching your first flattie of the year, thats a nice looking fish bet it was fun to catch, how much did it weight keep up the good work and hopefully you will be able to catch some more cats.

18. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    That's a pretty nice flathead.

19. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Also when I was down at the river today I heard something in the woods. I looked over and saw a big ol beaver about 15 feet away.I got my camera and got a nice little video of him walking down to the river with a small limb in his mouth. He was only walking on 3 legs. Biggest beaver I have seen in a long time. Here are a few pics I took out of the video.

Attached Files:

20. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    funny thing Kyle, i had the same thing happen to me while fishin a pond downtown here. i took some pics of the "big ol beaver" :confused2: but the BOC (well, you know who :wink:) wont let me post em on here i figger :wink::smile2: