First Flathead!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by patrickgd, Aug 3, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well I must say that compared to the rest of this year TODAY WAS MY DAY! i

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats, I know you have put your time in. Looks like you are about to give more details so I will shut up and wait.:wink::smile2:

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sweet man! I remember my first one. Caught it behind Idols damn on the Yadkin river. One awesome feeling isn't it!!!!!! Now you just have to get a bigger one. Congratulations:tounge_out:

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've been trying to catch one of these brutes since early May this year and today I finally did it. Not only caught 1 but 3. I normally fish for them at night but desperately in need of a change I went out early this morning. I stopped at my local bait pond and caught my usual 8-10 4 inch sized Bluegill. Made it down to the river at 6:30am. Noticed there was alot of small bait fish congregated in the area. I cast out but it was kind of a
    "lob" and only went out about 20-30 feet or so, I was disapointed in the cast but opted to stay put. Seconds later my pole doubled over and I found myself fighting a fish that was bent on getting away. I tried desperately to keep the thing from going into some tree-bushes that was around the bank. I managed to wear him out and get him to the bank. A nice sized Flathead that had to of gone 25 lbs. Heres where I made a rookie mistake. I saw that I had him hooked squarley in the jaw and thought my 100 lb. Braid was strong enough to hoist him up a few feet incline of the bank (big mistake) he flopped over and snapped the line. Still exausted the fish laid next to some rocks and I then grabbed my net and tried to corral him in but this just woke him up and he made his escape. I was thrilled but felt a bit slighted so I tried to repeat the process. I got both lines in the water (and not too far out) about an hour later caught another and actually got this one in my possession but he was only about 6 or 7 lbs. Still I was thrilled to have caught some Flathead at last. After about another hour and a half I was about ready to call it quits. It was about 10 or so now and really heating up. I started to reel in and felt a sudden stop. I said "damn hung up" then it pulled back and again this time harder. I could'nt believe it. I fought it in and recruited a painter that was painting the river to fill in as "netman". He asked "should I hold the rod or net him?" I said "whatever you feel most comfortable doing" before I could say "net him head first" he was netting him tail first. The fish THRU A FIT but the painter came through like champ. I thanked him and he had his wife take a pic. I released the fish and thanked the Lord for finally getting that ol' skunk off my back. Thanks also to all of you guys who have graciously shared your hard earned experience with me. I really appreciate it. :wink:

Attached Files:

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Good job man, they are an awesome fish aren't they!!!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats Man on your first Flathead.

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Yes they are an awesome fish! Heres a couple more pics below. One more of the last one and one of the smaller one.

Attached Files:

8. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Congrats to ya Patrick. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and that is what it is all about. Looking forward to hearing of your future catches...

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Congratulations :)

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Awesome. Sounds like fun times. I'll tell you one of my rules that I usually apply to bass fishing but don't ever forget it even when flatheading. "There is no such thing as a bad cast!" If it's in the water then it's got a chance. You accidentally fished a better spot than you were planning on fishing and learned some valuable information.

11. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Congrats, looks like it will be on for you now. It just takes that first time and they come way more often after that. :wink:

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations on some good flats. Your on your way now. Good story too!:smile2:

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thank you for the pictures and congrats on the flatty

14. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    Nice going. Can't wait to get one myself.

15. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    good job awesome fish

16. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    CONGRATS ON THE AWESOME FLATTIE!!!!

Man that small one beets my biggest one, so keep up the great job!!! Were you using a Carolina Rig??

Keep up the great work!!
    Take Care and keep your HOOK WET!!!
    Andy:wink:

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you had a great day on water. Congrats on your first flathead!!

18. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Way to go man. I bet your all pumped now. Well keep it up and good luck.

19. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats on your first flatheads. too bad you didn't get a pic of the biggun

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One thing I love about fishing for Flatheads is........you never know how big the next one is gonna be!!!! Anytime someone catches a couple of good ones....it just pumps up the rest of us and gives us all a little shot in the arm. I'm in a little bit of a slump right now.....but that could all change tonight!!!! Good luck on your next one:cool2: