First Flathead trip,3-15-2008....

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Mar 15, 2008.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    was a bust! well, not exactly, we did get into some channels:big_smile:. with the river as high as it is we really only had one option... a big deep eddy in a highly fished spot. we fished for about 2 hours using cut shad and sucker. even in the eddy i still had trouble getting 5oz to hold but we manged to catch about 10 channels right off the bank. water was 48 degrees and was hoping for a early flathead but i guess they arent ready just yet. http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/bigeddy.jpg http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/bigeddy1.jpg http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/bigeddy2.jpg

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    very nice fish guys great going rick

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish fry ya got there.

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    dink are we going to see you transform into your alter ego el gato nombre :big_smile: rick
    the catfish luchador it has been a while

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice fish atleast you got into some channels. Can't wait for them flatties to start biting.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great trip to me. I am amazed that the water temp is so high this time of year.

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing.

8. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    Those are some nice fish. What are those gray patches in the photos? Is that some crafty editing to block out landmarks?

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes, that was to block out some obvious landmarks, it is a shame we need to do that, but as a fellow Datonian, it wont take you long to realize there are only a handful of fishing spots along the GMR and most are overused and abused so when we work hard to find a new, out of the way spot, we try to protect it as long as possible to keep the fishing levels high. It is the "lurkers" that scare us the most and those who like to keep everything they catch and then tell there buddies where to go catch em some fish and of course they tell their buddies and before long, the trash and fire rings show up and before long the No trespassing and closed parking spots follow and then you have to keep moving to find other spots starting the whole process over again. We understand that some folks get annoyed with blotching out the photos but with so many fishermen and so little access, it is that or else we just wouldnt post any pics at all. Does that make sense? It seems that a lot of the complaints abou that come from folks that live in the sticks and do not have the high usage we do on there local watershed so its easy to understand where they are coming from.

Salmonid

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i understand totally, and won't post pic.s with backgrounds of my better areas for the same reason. its sad it has came to such, but it has...rollo

11. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    I hear you. I have no idea where to fish in Dayton and if I did I'd be sure to keep it mum too. I just moved here a few months ago from Louisiana. I live not far from Miami Valley Hospital and I was thinking of walking up Stewart Ave to the river and see what it looks like. I guess having a car would help not to mention the fishing pole I left in LA. Any good fishing shops here that I can get to on the bus?

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the areas best tackle shop is really close to you. do you know where Keowee street is? on keowee just north of the main post office you will find Fishermans Quarters on your right hand side of the street.

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    one the miami river downtown is ok fishing you can try down by the low dam near the art institute or above the low dam near river scape seems pretty deep and also try eastwood park it is on the busline ok fishing near bye. also down by hospice in dayton there is a small pond on wiimington ave also you are try the miami river near carrolton park near ud and east river road on busline too godd luck rick

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    GumboGalahad paul here is something will help you out rick
    http://www.greaterdaytonrta.org/pdf/RTA%20System FINAL FLAT.pdf
    this is a map of the bus routes in dayton. besides the river near you,the closest place would to catch 16 south on main street that will take you by that pond at hospice ok fishing catfish channels flathead carp bluegill i hope this will help out rick

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    when you fish this pond at hospice try chicken liver or goldfish for the flats there tons of goldfish thrive in that pond. good luck rick

16. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    I know where Keowee is but haven't seen the post office or Fisherman's Quarters. Maybe I haven't been far enough north. My girlfriend is getting a car soon and I need to get a rig anyway. If I get my rig first I will likely try the Miami River near Stewart Ave. and by Carillon Park. Need to scout it out first. I'll try the other places after she gets the car because the bus driver may not mind me bringing fishing equipment on board but I don't think actual fish would go over well. Thanks for the pointers and maybe I'll see you guys out there.

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice fish congrats.

18. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Nice fish i got to get out soon.:smile2::smile2:

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good for you Dink and Salmonoid! I do't blame you either. With computers and the internet these days, lurkers come here and jack your spots!

20. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    you guys did good on the channels, thats one of the spots i never plan on fishing again. i hate seeing others people when im fishing and you know how that area is..lol plus bottom is loaded with snags, really gets to be a pain!