First Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by hear_kitty, Jul 1, 2006.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    First of all i would like to thank tony for showing me this spot and putting me on my first Flatheads! Now all this stuff i have been getting from my so called Michigan BOC brothers about being a flathead virgin well we now ware you can put that seems to me there is only one left and not naming any names because I'm better than that "sparky" maybe can catch one in the near future. well anyway it took 37 years but i finally got it done don't ask for a weight on these fish because went to get my scale out and it was gone now for the people out there that have kids you will now why this is possible! caught one on sucker minnow one on cut bait and lost a real nice one because of my own stupidity 17lb line

Attached Files:

2. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    congrates on the nice flats say when I move up that way this mean I will be a virgin again? lol

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Yes sir moving to Mich thats the lest you deserve

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Go Don!

Congrats!

Glad to hear your second trip over here worked out good. I was going to leave a note on your truck last night around 8:30, but I didn't think that trailer could hold a 16' boat, so I wasn't sure it was yours.

How late did you fish? What time did they bite?
    Tony

5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Good for you Don! Did your wife have any luck? The one you lost, did it brake your line?
    I can't wait for the 7th of July. Come on Flatheads, Come on!

I'm locked and loaded with some heavier line this time. I hope I can just find a spot with a big fish.
    What time did you catch these fish?
    Sparky

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Congratulations on mr. flathead. Keep it up!

-Red

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hey, I just broke the state record with a 52 pounder and it had a piece of 17# test hanging out of its mouth!
    (Just kidding)

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    about 7 i think we got there
    they started just be for dark then had couple good hits at about 9:30 than one at 10:30 that was a real good fish of coarse he hit the rod with 17 on it instead of the one with 50lb braid yes Vic 50lb braid got him up close to the boat and he rolled and took off and never came back than 11:00 anther one buy this time the wife had enough and we packed it in at 12:00 or i would have stayed all night!

9. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    NOT FUNNY! It was not that big but its head was as wide as my hand

10. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats on your first Flats Don!

11. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    yes sparky it headed for the wood and turned up the drag and pow. Than i put the rod up and bitched and moaned like a 5 year old it was shameful

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on your first flattie!!!

13. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Thanks every one I thought i was hooked on catfishing before there is not a flathead safe now.

14. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Attaboy Don, Flats are fun no doubt about it. More like deer hunting than fishing sometimes but it's all worth it when you see that big mouth come to the surface. The only thing that compares to sticking your hand in a big flatheads mouth and hoisting him in the boat, is waliking up to a trophy buck and grabbing those antlers for the 1st time. You know there yours forever now. Even better than that is watching those big flatheads swim away to get bigger and badder. CONGRATS Don.

Dan

15. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    And i would not keep one for love or money thanks Dan

16. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    WAY TO GO DON......

didnt i tell you they were ugly, and beautiful at the same time? Does this mean you are gonna be moving to this side of the state now?
    Lookin forward to seeing you, and the other guys, on the 7th.

congrats again..

17. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Jon beauty is in the eye of the beholder these Flatheads are more appealing to me than my ex wife I would not move there for a million dollars to many people for me see ya than buddy

18. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Man, look what the cat drug...no wait a minute....LOOK WHO DRUG IN THEIR FIRST FLATHEAD CAT!!!!

(I was looking for any signs of computer tampering, but couldn't find any LOL)

Congratulations Don!!! How does it feel to have that monkey off your back? Welcome to the club!!! Anything less than 17 pound test revokes your membership!!!ROTFLOL!!!

If you got the fever like me, you are in big trouble! The sickness will compel you to wake up in all sorts of strange places! That's great man...wish I was there to see it live! That's okay though, there's still one virgin left that I know of, and I'm sure we can scrounge up a few more somewhere down the line.

What was the rig you used?

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish brother, congrats on the catches.

20. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    sounds like a rookie mistake fishin with light line sheeesh lol I sure hope the wife smacked ya around abit lol