First flathead catfish!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by KYfarmer, Jun 30, 2006.

1. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I had a couple of hours to kill last night so I went out to the river with my brother armed with what I had learned from the BOC over the last few weeks. First throw of the cast net landed 20+ shad. The river is really fast right now due to flooding in PA, so I found a place that looked good on the sonar and had a nice current break. I put a few lines out with live shad, before I got the last line out my first rod went down, I got a little ahead of myself and tried to set the hook too early not just once but twice! The third time was the charm, I let the fish load the rod up real good and then I set the hook, 12 lb flathead, the first flathead I have caught but not the last.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Congratulations on the catch and welcome to the brotherhood. Please be careful out there on the river when it's high like that. We don't want it to be your last flattie either. :)

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great Job Marty. Congratulations on your first flathead. I'm sure you will become a regular at reeling in some pigs soon. Good Luck and Be Safe. :cool2:

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Way to go man!! It's amazing what you can do with the right info, and this one heck of a place to get info.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Always nice to get your first flathead. Congrats on the catch.

6. drewk

drewk New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    congrats on that catch