First Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by kevthecatfishstudent, Apr 11, 2006.

1. kevthecatfishstudent

kevthecatfishstudent New Member

State:
    Riverside California
    First off wanted to say that it was really nice meeting a lot of BOC memebrs in Blythe this weekend I just wished I could have stayed a bit longer but you know. Arrived in Blythe Friday at 0330 or so and fished the canals south on interstate 10 for no love whatsoever. At day break stopped by the bait shop B&B (Where all the master baiters go) and recieved a exclusive report and advice fromt he owner there. This guy is the best, freindly informative and just down right a good dude. Anyway he gave me and some buddies some advice about fishing both the river and the drains. We left and checked into camp mingled for a bit and then hit the river. The river was extremely low and we didn't even get a nibble. Long story short we went back to the drains about 2pm after picking up some gold fish fro B&B and a few bluegill from a local ditch. Frst drained we fished a throw in a split shotted goldfish and within 3 minutes fish on. A 5/11 flathead. I was good to go after that. Anyway that was iot for the day so we headed back to camp for a short nap. Headed out that am thinking we were headed homebut when we arrived at the baitshop to return the owners flashlite he let us borrow we ran into a famous Blythe fisherman named Rafeal. He too gave us locations to try so we did. Again the first hole we head I threw in a goldfish and fish on this time it was a 3 or 4 pounder and once again that was it for the day. Pics will come as soon as my boy mails them to me. If anyone wants the insides from what I know just PM me.

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good job Kevin. I am hitting the drains and canals next. May go again real soon. Hit me up.

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Man when you dudes want to hit up the canal let me know and ill head out with ya all, it will be getting hot down there soon, so be looken for snake's hanging around the canals, talken snakes matthew found a snake in camp
    so kevin how hard was the drain fishen, did you dudes get in to the water and did you fish the "pipes" or just the canals?

4. kevthecatfishstudent

kevthecatfishstudent New Member

State:
    Riverside California
    Figuring out the where the drains were located and how to get your bait to swim in the drains was the most difficult part of fishing the pipes. We didn't get into the water told that if you were to fall into the water you would drown do to the pressure from the pipes. I was telling B that the only bad thing about fishing the pipes is that only one person can fish them at a time. we have to find some where its not too long of a walk before you get to another are that has canals around to fish while waiting your turn.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sure do not want to fall into those pipes it is not worth that, but if we find an area that pretty safe than that it cool. I know there are several areas there thats available the hard part is finding them. Since you know of a few that is cool. I do not mind sharing an area we would have to break it down into minutes between us. 30 minutes each is fine. I can drink a cold one while its not my turn. LOL. I did hear that there were areas were they were not too far apart so we would have to fnd those areas. No to mention Kevin the several spots south of Blythe including Palo verde that has good flatheading. So there are many zones up and down that river and canals that we can focus on.