First flathead catfish story.....long

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by tugrivercater, Jul 21, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    well today was the day, i went to a local pond and caight a few rock bass, picked up my dad, and headed to a spot that i wanted to try on the river. got there about 5:30 baited pole 1 up with a 5 inch rock bass cast out into an eddy but stronf currand pulled it over to the fast water. I proped the pole up in the rocks from the old bridge that wend across the river long befor my time witch allowed me to fish from the center of the river. and started baiting pole 2 at 5:45 when my dad sait youve got one! i looked at my pole and it was bent hard. i grabed it and felt the fish was hooked so i brought him in, i dident think it was a flatty cause he wasent fighting it was more of a dead weight the about 4 feet from shore he took a little drag just befor he surfaced and sure enough my first flatty!!! weighed about 8lbs, dident stay long things werent going well and my reel broke so we headed home about 7ish..... but i think its cool that the verry first time i target flatheads i had one on it under 5 mins!!! now let me tell you an interesting story about this hole of water that i just found out today..... It is the deepest hole on this river in a good 25 mile strech. it is about 20ft deep. there is ALL kinds of structer in and around it due to the old bridge laying in the water (witch i belive made the deep hole by water running over it) In the late 80,s my dad, uncle and there friend brown bear were into hand fishing and brown bear found a hole under a rock close to the shore that he could almost swim under. he told them that he was afraid of going in there because if a big flat head grabed his head it would kill him. long story short he went in and pulled out a 94lb flathead. could have been a ky state record then i dont know.. hearing this makes me want to go spend sevrell all nighters at this hole and see what hapens!!!! sorry so long. P.S besides being my first flat head that 8 pounder was also my PB catfish.. thanks for all your help

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Congrats on the catch. I hope that one got you hooked for many more years of fishing. You probably won't always catch one in 5 minutes though. :lol:

3. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Well, that is awesome! It's got to be pretty darn long odds to catch a flathead your first try in the first 5 minutes! Yeah, I would hang out at that hole too!
    Take your camera!!!! Looking forward to some great flathead pics!

4. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    congrats on your first flatty!!
    I'd be hang'in out at that other hole as well, 94# wow

5. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    sounds like a good spot congrats on ur first flathead

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on your first Shovelhead brother, hope you get many more. Sounds like a good spot.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

congrats on your PB and first flathead.

8. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    congrats on first flat and personal best now ur hook on flats for shure:lol:

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Good Job!
    Be careful you might have caught the flathead rabies! Once bit there isnt a cure only treatment with time on the river!

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sounds great you done good hope you released him if so next time out you may catch him again ,and yeah i think if i was you id spend more time there go get you a camera and dont trn yer back on yer rods that 94# flatties babies may be there ,good luck

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congratulations on the catch brother. Here's hopes for many more!

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Congrats on your first flathead. That sounds like an incredible flathead hole you've found there. If I were you, I'd fish that hole day and night for a while. Old sunken bridges with deep water are incredible cover for any sort of fish, especially big old catfish.

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Congrats on the flatie. What kind of reel were you using that broke? How did it brake? inquiring minds want to know.

14. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    I was useing a tigger combo from wal-mart

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Congrats on your catch. I can't wait to hear more exciting stories about that hole. Now get back out there!

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Tommy, congrats on your first flathead, thanks for sharing