First flathead catfish on a circle hook

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Dadoftwo, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I finally caught my first flatty on a circle hook last Saturday. I would guess right at 14#. I left the rod load up like everyone says to do so, but several would not hook themselves. I know they were flattys because as soon as they felt the hook they broke top. I was fishing in less than 3' of water so I got a good look at several. I only had minnows so I had to use a small hook. Anyway, I got one for the season. I want to thank everyone that has given me advice and also all the different threads that gave advice as well. Thanks to everyone in the BOC for the help. I took a pic with a disposable camera and will take forever to take enough pics to develop. I will eventually get that pic on my avatar. Thanks again for the Brotherhood.

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    GOOD JOB BUDDY!! Is it my turn now??

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    WTG.... So are ya sold on the circles hooks now ?

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats Barry...I would recommend Gamakatsu 8/0 circles for a better hook-up ratio and put 3-4 minnows on it.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good for you barry! glad to hear somebodys advice helped you get bit. thats what this site is all about brother.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Congrats and I agree with wolfman. Try larger hooks and add more than one minnow. I fish a lot with smaller shad where I will put 2-4 on the hooks, depending on their size.

7. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    Congrats on the flatty. With circle hooks the smaller the hook the harder it is going to be to hook a big fish (ie. Flats) The hook is made to prevent deep hooking. It does this by sliding out of the throught and ideally the lip will fit through the gap and the hook will set itself. By using a hook size that would not fit around the lip of the fish you are basically only going to catch fish when the hook doesn't work the right way and let me tell you they work right way more than not. Moral of the story size circle hooks to the fish and not the bait and hook up a lot more. Hope this helps!!

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks guys. I will get some 8/0 with a group of minnows on them. I appreciate all the help everyone has given.

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Although a larger hook will help with a better hook up but you still have to match the hook size to your bait size. If all you are using is minnows then a 4/0 or 5/0 circle is about as big as you should go. I use 8/0 circles but I also use fairly large live bait.

10. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    you need to take that sircle hook and rub a minnow on your worm. then tip your hook with a shad gizzard. that drives them flathead crazy. a small trebble hook and a can of corn also works well.

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Congrats on the catch bru!:wink:

12. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    WYG man:smile2:I love circle hooks, that is all i use!