First Flathead Catfish of The Year

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JAYNC, Apr 13, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well last night I went out to a place on the river where I heard they were catching big flatheads recently. Was fishing for about an hour, caught an 11 blue, surprisingly I caught that on a live bluegill about 7" long. I was just about to pack up and leave when my 9' rod started bouncing. After it bounced a few times it started pulling on the clicker. I let it pull for about 5-10 seconds, then I set the hook. The rod bent over good and fish was pulling hard. Got the fish up next to the boat, noticed it was a pretty good sized flat. Got the fish in the boat, it was 44" long and weighed 40lbs, not sure if the weight is right since it was my back up spring scale, but it seemed a little heavier. Not a bad way to start off the year. I caught him on a big bluegill, about 10" or so in about 25 feet of water on an outside bend. :cool:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on a very nice fish!

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    that deserves a big congratulations! did you get a photo op?

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yes I took pics but I got home late last night, and had to leave for work at 530 am. I will post them tonight.

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Congrats on a good start in 06. Mate

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on a fine catch

7. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Very nice Flat!!!!! That's a great way to start the year. I really need to get into the Flathead fishing. The river I fish has a healthy population of Flats. I catch a few each trip on cut bait.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    No matter what I do I cant get my pictures to upload on this site, my camera is an 8.2 MP camera and shrinking it down that much isnt easy. If anyone wants to see the pic just pm me your email address and I will send it on email.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Congrat's on your first flat of the year....and it's a nice one too! Would you like me to resize it and stuff for you?? If so, shoot me a PM.

Zakk:)

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    A 10" bluegill? I'd had that sucker mounted and used a smaller one. Congrats on the flatty tho.