first flathead catfish of 2008

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by poisonpits, Jun 27, 2008.

1. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    went wade fishing on the ouichita river this morning and caught a half doz.channels from 6 to 8 inches long and 3 flatheads from 1 to 4 lbs.

Attached Files:

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Nice fish brother looks like you had a great time!

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Johnnie, looking good brother. I am hoping to find a few myself tommorow night, if the river is deeper than 3 feet :wink:

4. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    well i spent the day fishing a new hole on the ouichita.i met a lady at the auction sat and her and her husband told me bout their place on the river so to the river i went.i ended up with 6 flatheads and 4 bass all on perch.3 of the flats were aroung a lb.and the other 3 went fron 4 to 7 lbs.3 of the bass were under a lb.but i kept one bout 2 lbs.cause it swallowed my hook.got 5 fish in my bait box and am bout ready for a fish fry.o all the small 1 lb.fish i let go.i know these are small fish to some of you but these are the size i keep.rather eat a 3 lbder than a 20.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good fishing, Congrats and good luck in the future

6. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    well its 2.30 am and i just got home from the river,mountain fork this time,below the dam at dequeen lake.only caught 2 flats and 4 channels tonite.channel all bout a lb.so i turned them loose.1 flat bout 1 lb.turned him loose to but 1 was bout 8 or 9 lbs.and hes in the bait box.i think i got enough for my fish fry now.

7. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like you had a good day on the river, thanks for sharing.

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Way to go johnny, wake those flats up. Look like you caught a good meal or two. :big_smile:

9. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    well guys here it is again 2.30 am and i just got in.only had 4 or 5 bites tonite but the first one weighed 10 or 12 lbs.another flat head had cassk with me this time not real good fish wise but we had a good visit so was a good nite any way.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for sharing your trips with us, I enjoy them

11. tooncatter

tooncatter New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Johnnie, I got your PM and tried to reply but until I have made 10 post I can not send a PM. Can you PM me a phone # or a place and time so we can talk. I like talking catfish. I stay in a learning mode all time.
    Thanks Billy

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Johnny, I finally got my first flat for 08 tonight,on cut skipjack, it went 7lbs and made 2 nice filets. Caught a small blue and a drum, then the storm hit us, rain at first so we put up the big umbrella and thought we would just wait it out Thinking that maybe the rain would turn the flatheads on, but the lightning got to poppin pretty good so we hightailed it out of there got loaded up and headed home, we both got soaked but had a good time anyways. I was in such a hurry that I forgot one pole had it in freespool,sittin in the rod rack, I guess I thought i already reeled it in an put it up, well it aint got any line on it now:smile2: its a wonder it didnt jerk the pole out of the boat:eek:oooh: on the arkansas river out of clear creek park. water had dropped a bunch since the other day. My wife is pretty camera happy :roll_eyes: Mac

Attached Files:

13. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    good going mac.i dont care how big they are flatheads are the best looking fish of all.

14. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Very nice on getting your first flat of 08. I am still trying to get the skunk off my back. :confused2: Congrats dude

15. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I like the way they put up a fight, Fight better than a blue and harder to catch, Im like you I dont care what size they are I was just tickled to catch it. I would love a biggun though. :smile2:

16. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    way to go mac , I also caught my first flat , in a long time, about a week ago . I have never caught one on cut bait till then. It was caught an a shad head. He only weighed 6 # but just as you would get him up ,he would put on another surge and go down, to me thats how they are different than blues, they fight so hard not to get n the boat.

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Yea your right about the surge, I thought he was much bigger than he was when he got to the boat, Heres a picture of the surge right before I got the net on him I dont know if you can see the pole or not but its an ugly stick and he had it bent pretty good. :smile2: Congrats on yer flatty too. I hope the bigguns start comin around, i know there in there, just a matter of finding them, or them finding me :wink:

Attached Files:

18. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    nice fish sounds like a real good trip..

19. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    well guys i got two and missed 3 tonite.cassk and i went to try our luck flathead fishing again tonite,ended up wite me catching 2 and mising 3 and cass caught 1 and missed 2.i caught one 15 and 1 4lb. flathead and cass caught 1 channel bout 4 lbs.biggest flat went 15 and little flat went 4.

20. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    Looks like you still catching some fish there keep it up.