First Fish To Give You The Fever!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Nov 8, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We all started fishing somewhere. Whether it was a grandpa, father, or just a friend to get us all started, there was a defining moment that addicts all of us to the sport. I was fortunate enough growing up to be around some of the best knowledgeable fishermen I could have learned from in my area. They got me started at an early age, and gave me the ambition to learn for myself also. I know we all get introduced to cattin in our own ways and scenarios. However, I have taken many new folks to the sport, and see how ONE fish, can change or set the attitude for a lifetime! This has always been special to me.. So I would like to share with you my cat that got my heart and fever going many years ago!! Please share your experiences and pictures also.... goodfishing.....rollo

Attached Files:

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i have had the fever as long as i can remember i would fish off and on all my life my granpa got me started with a cane pole thean on to a steel pole with a bait caster i got into bass fishing for years with a pb of 10lb. 9oz thean i moved on to trout fishing i got a monster brown that i would give anything to have pics of always did a little catfishing in between but now its all catfishing exsept for bait fishing and i engoy that too im older now broke down and i can relax catfishing i use to just catch dinks thean i found you guys this year and caut my pb 12lb channel this year as well iv lernd so much hear and that 12lber lit a fire in me now all i think of is a biger one i tried my best to break the 20lb mark but next year i will my day is coming so i guess you could say the BOC is what got me hooked on the kittys

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for sharing Dallas... The older I get, the more I appreciate time out with others when I go...... rollo

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I meat fished all my life. Never really considered trotlinin a sport as much as a way to fill the freezer. After i got what i needed, i returned to bass fishin for fun and the tourneys. Couple years ago while bass fishin on Grand lake in Okla. i had about a 20 pound flathead slam a gig/pig and tryed to take my St. croix rod away from me. I knew that day that better things lay ahead. This year at Truman, i had the pleasure to fish the river with a good friend i met here. We didn't land any record breakers but throwin 8oz, and fighting fish in the current definitely has an appeal to it.Any man that don't like catchin cats on a rod should trade me his tackle and i'll give him his choice of a few sets of golf clubs.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My dad got me going, and now I keep him going. At 70 it's too much for him to do the flathead thing with me anymore, but we go out after the day time cats and bass etc. when he's feeling good.
    If I showed ya a picture of my fish fever fish... I'd have to scan it ~ no digital cameras back then- I don't think they even had computers?:confused2:

Nice flattie young Rollo!

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive been hooked on fishing since I was a kid. I remember catching enough bullhead cats to fill up 2 five gallon buckets. Then catching all the bluegill and crappie I could handle. From that point on I would sit out on my porch at the crack of dawn and wait for my uncle to come and pick me up on his way out every Sunday morning. I could not get up for school to save my life but tell me Im going fishing and Im up and wide awake!

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    my dad got me started at 6-7 years old i remember my first "huge" fish a 8-9 inch crappie ,that and a stringer full of gills i still remember that day like it was yesterday and that day was about 45 years ago now tell me i 'm not gettin old lol

8. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I grew up in Central Texas, but my Dad would take the family to the Coast 4 or 5 times every year. We would all load up in his old 64 Chevrolet pickup.... Mom, Dad, my brother, my sister, and I.... If the weather was bad we all crammed in the front, otherwise all of us kids would ride in the back for 180 miles. We had a big tent and would load everything we needed for 2 or 3 days into the boat and camp on an island. We would fish the bays during the day, sometimes go off shore, and then fish off the island at night. That island was where I caught my first flounder. The first year that I can remember, I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6.... It was the weekend of my birthday, i got an FM transistor radio and caught the first fish I can remember, a piggy perch. Those were good times. Now, almost 40 years later, I'm still fishing but mostly fish fresh waters. My most favorite fishing partner is my daughter, the look on her face (and mine) when she caught her first fish was priceless.. we have some pretty good adventures...... SO many people in today's time are missing out on what we know are good times.....

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I couldnt say what hooked me, my father used to take us out and then go the Ice Cream shop at Buckeye:wink: so I would say it was the Ice Cream :smile2:.

I would be fishing with my Zebco and trying for cats or carp, my Dad would have his two poles out both for carp. Watching him catch them on those little flimsy poles and small baitcaster with 50lb braid LOL. He would birdsnest them and start cussing up a storm and telling us not to tell our Mother LOL. I just enjoy going out and relaxing sitting there. Watching my poles and seeing a good hit just makes it that much better:wink:

10. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Catfish fish Rollo If you wrote a book .You could sale alot of copies.An get
    rich an fish all the time.You always have away toget the stories a going.Thanks Brother
    My fish storie latter!

11. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I was the youngest out of 5 boys...we lived Huntington w.va.about a block from the Ohio river and not far from what they called (the ditch) it was a area where the flood waters would come and go out just as fast...now back in the 60s i was only a kid, but i can tell ya some storeys about big carp and catfish trapped in that mud and shallow water (the ditch) we use to wade in that muck pushing them around with sticks and later years shooting them with bows, we couldn't wait for it to flood, just to see what we could find, it was something special back in the day, and when i think about it, its still special..... but I'm easily hooked on things just like the fish i release :wink:

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    use to have pics of those fish but our house burnt down in the early 70s and lost everything

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont have any pictures, they didnt have cameras back when I got hooked on fishing. The first fish that actually gave me the fever was when I was about 4 or 5, went out fishing with the ol man years ago at lake Ellsworth near Lawton,Ok., He had an old 12 foot jonboat with a set of oars. We get out in the middle of the lake and he tells me "its about time you learn how to swim boy", picks me up and tosses me into the lake. Well, as I was sinking a huge shadow off to my right appeared out of nowhere, and then noticed it had long whiskers about 3 feet long and the the fish was bigger than a volkswagon beetle.......it was that day that I learned how to swim and swim fast at that. Back in the boat soak and wet, the ol man says "now that you learned how to swim, I'll teach you how to fish" and hands me my first pole ( a 5' canepole with bobber and hook). I just stared at the pole for a few seconds then looked up to the ol man and said, " Im gonna need a bigger pole dad". :wink:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was hooked on flatheads around 1980, never caught any big ones till 1984 when I pulled this 40-lb flat out of Paint creek on a live bluegill.

It really changed my fishing forever as now anything under 20 is a dink:smile2:

Now I am willing to wait many hours or days just for the chance to catch that big fish, sure it gets boring targeting big flatheads, but as soon as you catch one you forget all about that.

It is really a feeling of accomplishment for me when it happens.

Attached Files:

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was hooked on fishing at Indian Lake some where in west central Ohio in the late 50s when I hooked into an 18" bass. No pics except in my mind. Can remember it as well as if it was yesterday. My pole was a Zebco Junior about like the Barbie poles ya see at Wallie World. My bait was night crawlers. And dad said son you've hook an old boot or something till he seen the pole bending. After moving back to the hills in the early 60s I have fished for about every species of fish we have here and catfishing has been my favorite for the last 40 years.

16. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    My dad got me into fishing, At first it was bass and bluegill then he started taking me catfishin i loved it right off the bat! I was kinda spoiled fishing out of my aunts pond! Every cat was over 20 inches. Then he started taking me to the muskingum river and peidmont lake a few times. I caught a few flats but nothing big growing up. Now im obsessed with it and i cant get his but out of a tree stand, hes all bowhunting now. We hit a few ponds in the summer for bass but its like we have reversed rolls, he dont have the patience anymore. I walk right behind him and catch all the fish! Ill have to get to my dads and get some of my old fishin pics. I tell ya fishing really kept me out of trouble growing up! I would always rather go fishin then run around with the boys! Thanks Dad!

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    my dad took me with all the time when i was little (5 or 6) so i was hooked then, was very lucky we lived next to my grandparents who had a farm with a pond so fishing was like a daily hobbie for me, i hope to pass the same love for fishing on to my daughter who is 6, i have her catch bait with me now and hope ta get her a flathead(with out loosin a pole)

18. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My Dad got me into fishin for cats. He was strictly a catfisherman and his reputation supported that.:smile2: Everyone knew how much he loved to catch cats, and I have never met anyone more hardcore. I have been fishin since I was a baby. My Dad used to heat my bottles up on the exhaust manifold of the pick up.:wink::smile2:
    In 1987, I was 3, he brought home a 58 lb flathead. Just the night before he had caught 2 45lbers. All on rod and reel on the Arkansas River here in town. I remember stickin my head in the fish's mouth to look inside.:crazy::smile2: Big fish were common with my Dad but that one always stick out.
    Then when I was 8 I hooked into an 18 lb flathead fishin off of a bridge on the Little Arkansas River. At first I thought I was hung up,but my Dad told me to wait a minute. He knew there was one on there.:smile2: Then all he!! broke loose, I had a blast gettin him to the bank.
    Now I am 24 and my love for fishin is even stronger. I lost my Dad 2 years ago to cancer and fishin is my way of spendin time with him. We spread his ashes in the river down in OK, at his favorite place to fish. I fish as much as possible and I enjoy every minute of it. I thank my Dad every day for takin me fish, and teachin me the way to do it.

Here is a link to some pics of my Dad. Some of when I was little. He didnt take pictures of a lot of his fish. My mom gets the credit for that.:smile2: He could've cared less. Thats not why he went fishin.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm enjoying all your posts on what got you fishing, thanks for sharing your memories with all of us.... rollo​

20. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My dad got me started. I remember him taking me bass fishing when i was 5 but the one that stands out in my mind the most happened when i was 12. Every once in awhile we would go catfishing in the Hocking and this time when we went the Hocking was up so we fished a break on the river. Now all we ever used was worms and liver and bass gear with 8 lb test line. I hooked into a channel that might have gone 10 lbs. I got it onto the bank before my line snapped and the cat rolled back into the river but this one fished had me hooked.