First fish in Missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Big Russ, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I`ve fished lake springfeild a half dozen times now since moving here to Ozark in july. Can report that I have caught about 50 cats, all but about 10 were 8 inches long or smaller, and of the 10 or so that were "keepers", none more than 1.5 lbs. but still... had one good fish fry for the family. I think I`ll start planning my trip up to Truman or LOTO for next spring, and since I`m new to the area it may be a while before I`m ready but I`ll let yall know how it goes

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rus,
    If I were you I would check out some of the spots on The Osage river above Trueman Lake. Or Stockton Lk.
    Good Luck

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sounds like a good mess of fish. Those are perfect eaters:big_smile:

4. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Russ, Welcome to the B.O.C. and welcome to the show me state.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome aboard Russ. There is some good fishing where your at over there. Will look forward to seeing your post. Welcome to Missouri.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Small fish are certainly better than no fish and they taste better anyway. Welcome to missouri.

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Welcome to the BOC Russ. There is a lot of great fishing down that way. When I lived there durring college I would go out to the James river off of 13? (Campbel south past Nixa) and take that right that goes past the trout pond) and there is a river access there by a bridge. There are a bunch of nice channel cats in that stretch of the stream, if you can get the bait past the smallmouth ;) I would take my cast net and catch the dusky shiners and river chubs and cut them up and fish by the log jams. There are some pretty good size cats in there.

8. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    you know, ive lived in Nixa for years, and i pass that exact place every time i go anywhere, but ive never fished there. ive always wanted to, but for some reason i never tried it. instead i go down highway 14 way down by that old vegetable farm and fish the finley about 100 yards downstream of the new bridge. theres some good eating size cats down there, along with some GREAT smallmouth and goggleye fishing.

9. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I have waded most of those streams in persuit of smallmouth and cats. Downsteam of the bridge on the James there used to be some big log jams that would hold some 4-8 lb channels and maybe some bigger but the ones that I caught were almost all in that range. It makes for a pretty enjoyable day wading the river with light tackle and catching the fire out of some fish.

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    NOW THAT sounds like some fun, we'll have to do that when the weather warms up next summer Ryan.

11. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    We dont have to run all the way down there Mike. I have some good smallmouth streams up this way that are just as good. You bet, that is one of my favorite things to do when the weather is warm and the evenings are long after work. We can go wade some streams with the ole float behind cooler, and catch us some smallies and channels.

12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Now that's the kind of fishing that I love to do!

13. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Allright!!! I love hearing of a new spot to try.I know there are a lot of great fishin holes here but since i`m still relatively new to the area, tips like these are great. Thanks

14. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Russ -- I don't wish to willfully destroy this fine thread with words like "goggle-eye" or "smallmouth ba$$", but there's some fun fishing for both of these species in the Gasconade River, about an hour to your east...look near Hartville and Manes on your map (Wright County). PM me if you want more info. There's even a few pools of the river that have some good eater sized channel cats.

BTW, this is the time of year to befriend someone who has a gigging boat -- I can't recommend this activity enough...Not only is gigging one of the most enjoyable times I've ever had in my life but also some of the best tasting fish. Good luck!

15. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks, I`ll give the river a try. Love to take the family out to see the countryside.
    Oh but,whats gigging? Only giggin I`m familiar with is frogs:0a28:

16. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    The gigging I mentioned is the sanctioned night-time gigging of suckers (redhorse and hogsuckers). I'll be the first to admit that this doesn't sound appetizing, but I assure you they were some of the best fish I've ever eaten.

As it gets colder the microorganisms in the water tend to thin out and therefore the water clarity increases dramatically. So at night, with the aid of shielded halogen bulbs mounted to the front of the boat, you'll be able to see the riverbottom in excess of 15 feet of water. As the gigger, you'll stand against the "drunk" rail and attempt to gig the schooling suckers with a 10 to 15 foot gig. The refraction of the water makes it more difficult to aim than most would think.

Sound fun? Well, here are the dangers:
    A) It's usually done when it's quite cold.
    B) The rivers can be shallow, requiring you to pull the boat through the riffles (bring insulated waders).
    C) The amount of bourbon involved in inversely proportional to the temperature...hence, the "drunk" rail.

The combination of the above may provoke laughter in your boat as you slip when pulling the boat through a 3 foot deep riffle, allowing about 6 gallons of frigid would-be-ice-water to cascade into your hip waders. Don't ask me how I know this. :) But the taste of freshly scored and fried sucker that hasn't been out of the water for even an hour makes up for any discomfort you may experience. Some folks setup their deep friers on the riverbank and eat up as soon the fish are cleaned from the boat.

17. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a good time. Problem is ,no boat. Maybe you can take me along sometime.Russ

18. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Why are you going to wait intell spring to come to truman. Our best fishing is from dec. to march.

If you want your best chance to catch Big Cats NOW! is the time. We will catch more blue cats over 20lbs in the next 90 days than we do the rest of the year.

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Steve is right and i will be hitting it in a couple of weeks when the boat is done.