First Deer Hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TX Fisherman, Oct 29, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i went out to my first deer hunt this weekend, it was youth weekend. i set up in a deer stand about 5:00pm saturday night, we watched till about 6:30 when the smallest 8 point i had ever scene walked up, it had a nice rack but it was really small, and since it was my first deer my dad wanted me to shoot a doe, well we watched the buck, and i practiced getting my gun up and turning the saftey off (so i wouldnt mess up if i got a real shot at a different deer) well about 20 minutes later a gbig doe, (bigger than the buck) walk up, and so i asked if i could take the shot, the guy i was with who worked at the ranch said no, it was to dark, and that if i shot it and killed it would have been ilegal because the sun had already set, mad i was but i didnt argue, we waited about 20 more minutes then left the stand and headed to camp, i went out about 6:30 next morning, (sun comes up bout 8:00) and sat in the same stand, we saw one doe about 20 minutes after the sun rose, that doe kinda walked off before it was in close enough for a shot, soon i had scene a big buck and a big doe walking towards our stand, but then over the noise of all the pump jacks and oil tanks i heard a truck comming, i didnt know what to think, and soon enough the guy who checks all the oil rigs on the property comes down the road doin 35 and scared about 5 deer from the field i was hunting, once again kinda mad i sat and waited, one doe came back and was on its way back, when guess what, the oil guy was commin back after checking all the rigs, we waited another hour or so and didnt see anything, so we went to camp, and the guy who i was with in the stand told me the oil guy normally checks all the jacks and tanks about 4 or 5 in the mornin, o well didnt get to shoot this time but i know ill be back again, cause it was still fun, and my mouth is still waitin to taste some great venison sausage

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey it's all work after you shoot them anyway, right?:wink:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Good things come to those who wait. Not much is better then some backstrap!

4. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I enjoy going hunting whether I harvest an animal or not. Just be patient and you will get your chance.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hang in there ,Kev You'll get your deer,just be patient.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It wont be long before your grubbing down on some venison steaks. I always thought legal shooting time was 30 minutes after sun set, not when the sun set. I wouldnt have argued either though, good luck.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you got one every time you went out, it wouldn't be special when you do shoot one. It wouldn't be much fun if it was too easy.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Just being out there is the most important and fun part, sounds like you were camping as well and thats a lot of fun with family and friends. Harvesting a deer is and will be just icing on the cake.

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    letting them walk is being a hunter. killing them is a shooter. being both is what is a good hunter. there are plenty of deer in texas to get one. remember to have fun each time out. if you had fun you had a good hunt. the stories of all the ones that got away or things gone wrong will be fun to tell for years to come. on our lease the rancher makes sure the pumpers wait until after 10 am to come in and check the wells. if they have a work crew in to do repairs they do mess up the hunting some times.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good story; be patient. Sounds like you've had your first taste of bad luck, so maybe the good luck will come. Believe me, it takes time. I just this past weekend got my best buck, & I've been hunting hard for about 10yrs. Hang in there; the thrill is worth it. So is the thrill of just learning to watch them & observe their behavior. You'll get there. Good luck.

11. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great story Kevin,sounds like you are learning some of the right ways of being a hunter.Your time will come to take a good mature doe or a nice buck.Good luck in your future hunts..

12. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hang in there, your day will come. Just enjoy the time spent outdoors, because it always ends to soon. Till the next time good luck and be safe.