First Deer Down at 30 years old LOL

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mdspoula, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I finally shot a deer today after about 10 1-3 hour outings. This was my first season hunting deer and I was lucky to have a friend that let me hunt his 10 acres where he baited it with corn. I pulled up to his long driveway and started walking down the hill about 4:45 P.M. As soon as I looked up toward the baited area I saw the deer. I kneeled down, aimed, had to slow my breathing and shot it and boom the scope blazed my eyebrow. My head isn't bruised but looks like I have a pimple about to erupt where it got me. I felt pretty stupid but whatever in the army I never used scopes. I hit the deer in the midsection and it came out its shoulder. I thought that was weird but it must have been the angle.
    It isn't a very big doe but I am hunting for the meat and to see if the family likes it. I would have had a doe opening weekend in december but didn't know what I was doing and missed a short shot standing in a dead tree with the scope zoomed too far in to let any light in when the forest light was darkening at dusk.
    Anyone know the secret to finding bucks so I know for next year? The only bucks that showed up to feed did so on cam at 2-3 in the morning or 10 A.M. to do some rubs by the doe trail. I don't want to buy all that stuff the commercial/ TV shows push really hard: scents, decoys, anti-scent spray, etc...
    Thanks,

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on a first deer. If its handled and dressed right you find no finer eating. As far as bucks go it takes alot of time in the woods so to speak scouting and just sitting out there watchin with binos. Follow the rub lines after hunting is over you should find a rub then follow the deer trail by it till ya find another. If ya relax and just walk and look you can track a buck thru his home area so to speak most are oval in shape and can cover 1 to 7 miles. Find his bedding spots where he drinks where he feeds. Apply what ya learned in the army about movment and fighting positions ect in the terrain with cover and concelment bucks dont like to travel exposed. Think of hunting bucks as war games and you are the OP4 setting a ambush in known travel areas
    Bucks in general dont bed where the does do. But they are close it might be a lil patch of woods or brush out on its own mabe a lil higher than the surrounding ground and probly thick as heck. I find most buck bedding areas within 100 to 500 yards of doe bedding areas. Find his in and out trails. I hunt a bench off a creek in Mo the does runn the lower side 80% of the time but the bucks travel up on the bench or slightly down it on the steep grade. Once ya lean where they runn and live then set up to ambush. Biggest thing is time in the woods and knowen where they goen to feed and drink during hunting season or right before.
    Oh yea wind is a big factor always try to use the wind to stay down wind of where ya want any deer in the crosshairs.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bucks are different from does. They hang out in different areas until the rut starts. If you find the does and family groups, the bucks will come around during the rut. In the mean time, hunt the thickest areas you can find. That's where the bucks will be.

4. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We're not allowed to bait but when the family hunted michigan years ago during gun season the bait stations seemed to bring in does and small basket racked bucks. Uncles always said the bigger bucks either wouldnt hit the bait at all or only at night. We hunted up in those areas for a decade or so and I dont recall even one buck 2 1/2 or older being taken on bait.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on your first deer kill. WTG.

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I hope you ate the heart or at least smeared the blood over your head....you realize this is essential to appease the deer gods and have continued success in the field. If not no biggie, hope your family likes venison, remember not to overcook....VERY IMPORTANT!!!

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congratulations on that first one! Now that you've got that done, you can concentrate on a buck. But by all means don't bypass all those "good-eating does". To manage property correctly, you need to take does as well. And, as bnt55 stated.....very important NOT to overcook it.
    Enjoy!

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on your first nanny and Troy and Billie just give you some of the best advice you'll ever get. Theres no substitute for time in the woods. As soon as they shed their head gear, get to hunting sheds. It's fun, shows what deer made it thru season and gives ya a head start on spring turkey season too.

9. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah my friend told me to take a bite out of the heart but I just laughed at him. Here is the worst initiation that I think I have seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhthO7r5sc8 very disturbing. Good advice on getting a buck for next year. I think I will get a deer stand because I know where the rubs are on his 10 acres and they are down the hill from the doe trail. He caught a few different bucks on his deer cam earlier this year so hopefully they will be back next year. I will probably try archery next year since the Kansas archery season lasts forever which will give me a lot more chances.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    congratulaions:Happy:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats,Matt. You need to learn squirrel hunting,Its a great deer hunting teacher. Good luck on the future and Hope this is the first of many.

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Congrats on your 1st. deer Matt!! Keep at it and I'm sure the success will fall into your hands!! WTG!!:Happy:

13. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Your off to a great start. Congratulations. The first of many......

14. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrat to you on the deer. Like they said, keep it to the rare side. From rare to well done is only a matter of seconds...

15. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I'm 51 & have not hunted very much which means that I've never have gotten a deer. :angry:

16. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats!! Just got my first deer this past Saturday! Best feeling in the world..