First day out mushrooming and some pics

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by billcatfish, Mar 31, 2007.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    got to the wood about noon air temp was about 75 to 78 nice day out looked for about 3 hours still a little early for them but they are up here in south east Ind. took my 6 year old boy out with me he love going out with me we found about 20 or so all still small give it a week or so the wood should be full will keep you posted on them

Attached Files:

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Bill do you eat them just like other shrooms?

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    yes we deep fry them an eat away or we cut them up with onion an green peepers an cook them in butter an put them over or steak mmm good

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Couple more questions since I cant get enough fried mushrooms. I would assume they have the same taste and texture as other store bought mushrooms? Also what areas should I focus on when hunting for wild mushrooms?

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    if you eat one of these you wont eat a store bought one again were your from idont know but here in Ind. we find them in old coal minds around sicamore trees an around may apples the best thing to do is find some one that hunts for them around you an have them to show you what to look for

6. FlusherX

FlusherX New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Love them srooms with eggs and onions

7. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Outstanding my man, it not quite time here maybe in a week or two. If I get a bunch I dry them, works great in chili or spaggetti. But nothing is better than a little butter and a medium heat.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bill, I usually find a bunch of blacks two weeks before the grays and yellows show their heads. Like Paul said just about two weeks to wait here. I have seen blacks in the middle of March before even found them in the snow.lol My big yellow woods starts the first week of May, just like clock work.:smile2:

9. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Those pics are making me hungry:tounge_out:

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, me hungry too. I heard a rumor that some were found in my neck of the woods yesterday.

11. Putnam_Outdoors

Putnam_Outdoors New Member

State:
    Indiana
    HI Bill
    I was out in the woods all week - repairing and building fences. The mayapples are opening up so it won't be but a few days in West Central Indiana. I think we're gettin a cold snap late next week so that will probably knock em down for a while but I expect to find a few between now and then.
    PO

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Brings back some great memories of Grandpa taking me out hunting for em growing up. Thanks for sharing.

13. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    gr8 pics thx. We have found enough that i have already started drying some for latter in the year. And its still early.

14. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    There is nothing I would rather eat than morels. We used to find a load on my granpas land when I was a kid. Around hear mushroom spots are more fiercely guarded than fishing spots. There are people that hit the same secret spots every year and have enough to sell. I'm lucky if I can find enough on public land to fill half a skillet.

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Boy you lucky devil.Good to get a report that they are starting to pop up now. I just don't seem to have much luck finding them anymore.Guess the ole eyes aren't what they used to be.Last time I went didn't find any of them things however I did find 25 ticks or should say they found me. Good luck everyone on your search.

16. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Are you saying those old dried up yellows were picked in the end of March ? This year? APRIL FOOLS?