Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wildlife biologist Perch Fish Northern pike Recreation

After six inches of rain in the last two days, we woke to blue skies and sunshine in Harveysburg this morning.

Looking like a great day to fish, I called my 19 year old son Jacob to see if he was up for it, he was, so we decided to hit my cousin Dave's pond outside of Clarksville.

Armed with my "weapons of mass destruction" and three dozen night crawlers, we set out to catch some bluegill to use for bait. Usually at Dave's we have 10-15 nice sunfish within an hour, but they weren't interested today.

It may have been sunny and 45, but the wind that was blowing at a constant 20 mph or so out of the north, making it feel more like 35! Of course Jacob didn't dress warm as I had told him too, and his shivering was making me feel sorry for him, lol.

So, I decided to give up on the bluegill and I loaded my hooks up with about 6 nightcrawlers each on them, coverd them with garlic powder and cast out to see what I could catch before my son froze to death. *damned teenagers!*

Ten minutes later I got a big hit on one of my poles and reeled in this 4 pound 4 ounce-20" long carp.

It's not a catfish, but I didn't get skunked today.

...'cause my rule is, if you get skunked, you have to ride in the back of the truck on the way home !

Poor Jacob!

:cool2:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Way to go Girl .... I wish I had been there fishing with you ... I am tired of this crappy weather ...... Garry- :cool2:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I like to catch big carp...they put up a good fight.Sounds like you had a good time anyway, thats what counts. We went Tuesday night and fished all night in some of the strongest winds and hardest rain I have seen in a longtime. We caught several channels up to 5lbs. We had one really good run on a live bluegil and one good run on some fresh cut skipjack, but no big one yet. The weather is turning warmer now and it wont be long.......Yeah!:smile2:

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
ANge, If you want to count that carp go ahead. I hear that down in Kantuk they just drawl whiskers on em and win catfish derbys that way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ANge, If you want to count that carp go ahead. I hear that down in Kantuk they just drawl whiskers on em and win catfish derbys that way.

Thanks Skip, I'll try to stick to real cats for this challenge. I'll remember not to drink coffee while reading your replies, I almost spit it all over myself laughing!

It's supposed to reach 60 degrees here today, so I may head down to Caesar's Creek, hopefully the floodwaters are down. Catching that carp yesterday really got me itchin for a catfish!

:tounge_out:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well at least you was able to get out there and catch something. My fishing is non-existent until late August due to my current location.
No fishing till late August? Where are you? The desert?

I am 1/4 mile from Caesar Creek Lake, 5 minutes from the Little Miami River and 10 minutes from Cowan Lake. Not to mention my cousin Daves pond, which is 8 minutes away. That's where I caught my first flathead. Dave caught a 54# flathead last summer out of his pond. I'm gonna try to catch him this season.

I also have alot of free time, so I'm very lucky to get to fish all year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Angie what is the name of this "Pay Pond":smile2: and does it count when fishing against Skip?:crazy:

It's not a pay pond. Head down SR 22/3 towards Clarksville, turn on Spring Hill Road, and you can see it back in the woods. Park in Daves driveway and walk back about 200 yards to the trail. Leave your hotdogs at home though, we don't want our fish eating that crap, lol. Those things are bad for ya!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Now its my turn to spit on the screen lol. Sorry Gary!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.