First Day Out 2008

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Mizzbigcat, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    First Fish 08 4.4.jpg

After six inches of rain in the last two days, we woke to blue skies and sunshine in Harveysburg this morning.

Looking like a great day to fish, I called my 19 year old son Jacob to see if he was up for it, he was, so we decided to hit my cousin Dave's pond outside of Clarksville.

Armed with my "weapons of mass destruction" and three dozen night crawlers, we set out to catch some bluegill to use for bait. Usually at Dave's we have 10-15 nice sunfish within an hour, but they weren't interested today.

It may have been sunny and 45, but the wind that was blowing at a constant 20 mph or so out of the north, making it feel more like 35! Of course Jacob didn't dress warm as I had told him too, and his shivering was making me feel sorry for him, lol.

So, I decided to give up on the bluegill and I loaded my hooks up with about 6 nightcrawlers each on them, coverd them with garlic powder and cast out to see what I could catch before my son froze to death. *damned teenagers!*

Ten minutes later I got a big hit on one of my poles and reeled in this 4 pound 4 ounce-20" long carp.

It's not a catfish, but I didn't get skunked today.

...'cause my rule is, if you get skunked, you have to ride in the back of the truck on the way home !

Poor Jacob!

:cool2:

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Nice carp Angie, Ive been waiting for a warm day and a day off period. Sunday will be carp day. I will spare the bunnys that day, no carrots on circle hooks. :roll_eyes:

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Good catch Angie, did you keep the carp you can cut that into pieces and use it as bait.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    atleast you got out, thats all that counts...:wink:

5. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio

No Gary, I sure didn't. I thought about it, but spared him today. I've got plenty of time to catch more, I fish most every day in the spring/summer/fall.

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Way to go Girl .... I wish I had been there fishing with you ... I am tired of this crappy weather ...... Garry- :cool2:

7. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    Poor kid. Already freezing and has to ride in back of the truck because he got skunked. You're pretty rough. At least you went out and got your line wet, not to mention a little workout for the big competition.

8. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Well, you know I've got to get a head start on Skip! :tounge_out:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like to catch big carp...they put up a good fight.Sounds like you had a good time anyway, thats what counts. We went Tuesday night and fished all night in some of the strongest winds and hardest rain I have seen in a longtime. We caught several channels up to 5lbs. We had one really good run on a live bluegil and one good run on some fresh cut skipjack, but no big one yet. The weather is turning warmer now and it wont be long.......Yeah!:smile2:

10. catman2424

catman2424 New Member

State:
    kansas
    nice catch, i bet the boy comes prepared next time lol

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good weather is comming I hope and maybe the rain will even stop ! good days fishin soon LOL

12. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Gratz on the carp hope for more cats in the future and make sure when you skunk skip you make him ride in the back of the truck.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    ANge, If you want to count that carp go ahead. I hear that down in Kantuk they just drawl whiskers on em and win catfish derbys that way.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Well at least you was able to get out there and catch something. My fishing is non-existent until late August due to my current location.

15. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio

Thanks Skip, I'll try to stick to real cats for this challenge. I'll remember not to drink coffee while reading your replies, I almost spit it all over myself laughing!

It's supposed to reach 60 degrees here today, so I may head down to Caesar's Creek, hopefully the floodwaters are down. Catching that carp yesterday really got me itchin for a catfish!

:tounge_out:

16. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    No fishing till late August? Where are you? The desert?

I am 1/4 mile from Caesar Creek Lake, 5 minutes from the Little Miami River and 10 minutes from Cowan Lake. Not to mention my cousin Daves pond, which is 8 minutes away. That's where I caught my first flathead. Dave caught a 54# flathead last summer out of his pond. I'm gonna try to catch him this season.

I also have alot of free time, so I'm very lucky to get to fish all year.

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Angie what is the name of this "Pay Pond":smile2: and does it count when fishing against Skip?:crazy:

18. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    congrats on the catch it just feels good to get out, i went out yesterday and now i got the bug again.....:wink:

19. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio

It's not a pay pond. Head down SR 22/3 towards Clarksville, turn on Spring Hill Road, and you can see it back in the woods. Park in Daves driveway and walk back about 200 yards to the trail. Leave your hotdogs at home though, we don't want our fish eating that crap, lol. Those things are bad for ya!

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Now its my turn to spit on the screen lol. Sorry Gary!