First day on the Rock river illinois today.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Firecat41, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Well the sun decided to come out today so I got my new licens grabbed some bait and head to the river. I was fishing from the bank, using red worms and small shinners (live, cut, and smashed). I was out from about 1000-1330, I put two cats about 8" on the bank using red worms. Didnt get a single thing on the shinners. I was fishing a slack area 3 foot bay around a 14 sand hole. Just down river a guy was catching eating size channel using G&S dip bait, in 3-5 foot of water where the Rock and Pecatonica River meet. This weekend is going to be nice again I'll just have to give her a try then. The walleye fishermen vertical jigging the 14' hole didnt catch a thing. Any cold water tips for me.

2. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    they move to the wormer water to feed that is where you should be in the flat shalows were the water is slow good luck I also fish the rock have not ben out yet go around the bends be hind the islands on the shalow sides

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

A boat capsized on the Rock by Moline this afternoon. One was rescued, and as of the 10pm news, the other two on board had not been found.

Ray

4. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Was it due to the wind? I was a little breezy here yesterday, not as bad as Monday though.

5. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Cold Water Tips? I personally would do away with the dipbait until the water warms up a bit. Nightcrawlers or fresh cut bait would be great choices as well for bait.

6. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    That's what I though about the dip bait, but it was working for the guy yesterday. I used the cut bait did get a thing, only small ones on the red worms. I'll give the cut bait another try this weekend.

7. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Might wanna give shrimp a try too.

8. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I wonder if the water coming into the Rock from the Pecatonica isn't a bit warmer than the water in the Rock. Tributary streams often warm faster than the rivers that they're dumping into. I'd try up the Pecatonica a little ways in the first couple of snags that you come across.

9. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    FireCat will you be living in that area in June if so count me in on the fishing. Also need to know where to get some bluegills and suckers to land some of them monster flats that I heard about. I was all around rockford monday and tuesday, we stayed at the clock tower very nice motel. Not as bad traffic wise as I thought it would be.

10. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Yes, I will be in the area in June. I am moving, but only about a mile or two from where I am now. There are many small lakes to get your gills and even some of the bait shops around carry them and suckers as well.

11. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That sounds great can't wait to get up there and get to fishing.

12. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    G&S Dip bait is real popular on the Rock as the guy who makes it lives in Milledgeville and fishes the river A LOT. He knows tons of spots and knows the river like back of his hand.

I compared his bait to Sonny's Sticky Catfish Bait and they fished the same, in fact Sonny's slightly outfished G&S. I used 2 rods, one w/ G&S and one w/ Sonny's, both work well and caught fish.

If they guy using G&S was older w/ a jon boat and an electric anchor winch, it was probably the guy who makes it. He has an unfair advantage to most of us, he's retired and "lives" on that water all year long.

G&S is good, but I like Sonny's a bit better.

13. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    Sonny's is the only dip bait I use, I have tried about all the brands and nothing works better than Sonny's

14. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Got blanked tonight, one drum on Red worms. Different spot with to much current, I think was the problem. I also tried were the ROck and Pec Rivers meet not even a nibble both rivers are up about 1-1.5 feet over normal pool.

15. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Army,

First off, I'm assuming you're a veteran, and if that is the case, thank you for serving our country. As for catching cats near Rockford, I would actually recommend the Sugar River. The Sugar dumps into the Pec near Shirland, IL which is about 10 miles west of Rockton. The Sugar has always been good to me when fishing with a rod and reel, and there are a few forest preserves along it from which you can bank fish. You can fish it with a jon boat when the water is at normal pool, or up high. If it's below normal pool, you're asking for trouble in this shallow, sandy river. But it is full of eating size cats, and relatively underfished. I love the Pecatonica as well, as it is my the river I grew up on. However, cats in the Pec can prove to be quite finicky at times due to the relatively deep water and the abundance of forage in the river. There are some very good spots on the Pec near the Trask Bridge boat ramp on Illinois 70. This is also good walleye water. The Pec is usually navigable even in drought conditions, although you have to be careful as it is full of logs. Rod and reel fishing is hit or miss. I've had great days on the river, but for every great day I've had, I've had a skunker. That being said, I've run bank poles and trotlines on the Pec, and consistently caught quality fish on them, including some 10+ lb. channels and blues, and a few 40 lb. flatheads. They are in there if you know what you're doing, and where to look for them. I've fished the Rock a handful of times, with limited success. Those who really know this river say it is an excellent catfish and walleye river, and I'm inclined to believe them. However, I just don't know it nearly as well as I know the Pecatonica, and I know that there are fish every bit as big in the Pec, so I see no need to hit the Rock unless I'm out with my uncle who fishes the Rock nearly exclusively. All that said, if I was starving, and I needed to catch some fish to eat on rod and reel, I'd go to the Sugar 10 times out of 10. Find water over 5 feet deep in that river near some cover and the fish are stacked in there. As for the previous poster who hypothesizes that the Pec's water is warmer than the Rock's, there may be some validity to that statement, but I doubt it. I've fallen in the Pec sometimes in late August, and the water is still very cool. Because the river is relatively deep (7-10 feet average in the channel with some 20-30 foot holes) and narrow (usually between 100 and 200 feet wide), there isn't much surface to gather heat from the sun, and the water is deep, so the deeper thermoclines remain cool. I suppose I've given away enough secrets on location :) . As for dip bait, I agree totally with a few of the previous posters. Sonny's is the best dip bait there is out there. My grandpa uses G & S and it is an OK bait, but dad and I can usually outfish him with Sonny's. I tend to catch bigger cats on Sonny's too, including several nice channels over 6 lbs. One catch though, I usually mix in a few plops of Bowker's with the Sonny's to add some different flavor to the bait. I find that mix works really good. Sonny's has the best consistency, because it stays on the worm much longer than most of the other dip baits. I also concur with the other posters that stink bait works best late June through early September. Outside of that range, I've had little success with it. Happy fishing, and tight lines to you!

Catmaster81

16. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes I spent some time in the Army at Ft.Benning running rangers around, and thank you for all the information, much appreciated.

17. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    I'm posting from Indianapollis for the week have a confrence here, nice place. The Pec and Sugar river meet up at twin river forest preserve between Shirland and Harrison. I fished there for the first time last week two weeks ago and once last week. I cannt wait to get myself back to town and get a few lines in the water.