First coyote with .22 mag.

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Mark R., Dec 16, 2007.

1. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    After loosing 5 coyotes last winter using a .22 LR I just called in and shot a big male with my new .22 mag using 40 grain JHP bullets.
    Put one in the boiler room at about 50 yards through tall grass, he only went 10 yards or so before piling up.
    The hide wasn't tore up if you were skinning it.
    I am impressed to say the least with the performance of the 22 mag. over the 22LR, on coyotes anyway.

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    WTG , i went out today heard some yipp'n tried to call 'em in but was'nt happen . so i backed out of there leave for next weekend .
    what kind of distress calls did you use ? im just curious i know alot of states have different calls.

3. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I used a Faulks P-60 call, I have several others but always seem to use that one.

I forgot to mention that I also was using a Mo-JO predator decoy for the first time also and it really held the coyotes attention coming in, He went straight for the decoy, glanced in my direction and knew something was there but the decoy keep him busy.

I've had to coyotes hanging around my yard in broad daylight for the last week and lost some chickens so I am on a coyote calling binge.

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i myself use acouple of decoys , i really like useing them especialy when i'm by myself. the wirling woodpecker works great !! sometimes i use a turkey feather set it out afew yrd's and let the wind do the work . as for call's i use a ol'lohman cassette , think i have afew mouth calls but not many pretty much rely on my e-caller .

5. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a .17 HMR I have been wanting to try out on coyotes just never had the chance. If I ever do and it doesn't work out for me guess I'll drag out the .22-250

6. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    From what I read the .17 will work well, I have a friend with one, a Savage bolt action with the AccruTrigger , 8.5 x 24 power Muller scope that can cover his groups with a dime at 100 yards.
    My .22 mag. autoloader can't do that at 50 yards.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The .22WMR is notorious for poor accuracy...I've owned three, all were just adequate, no more...

I use it for beaver, but just got a Savage .223, and will probably get out of the .22 mag business.

8. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    The 2 yotes ive shot i used the .22 mag "TNT" bullets by cci. they have huge hollow points on them, great expansion, no over penetration, and very little pelt damage. i have to agree that .22 mag round does a great job under 100 yards.

9. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you want to be impressed buy you a Ruger .204, less than 1" groups @ 200 yrds. but i warn you not very good on the fur !!!

JRM

10. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I got the Black Rifle bug, so over the Christmas weekend I have been ordering parts to put together a 16" bull barreled .223 on the AR platform.
    No sights just a scope, ought to be a good varmint rifle beyond the .22's Mag's effective range.
    Will be a good hog gun in my way of thinking.
    Cool thing about the AR is I can put on a .204 or other uppers as I go.

11. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yeah you can surely put you a .204 upper on the AR. The .223 will save you money on ammo rather than the .204, but honestly have you all been watching the price's of ammo lately>? They are going up and up...

HAWK :eek:oooh:

12. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a Marlin 17hmr with a bull barrel and extra cheap 3x9x40 tasco scope from walmart and it is also very accurate. I sighted it in at 100 yds and all three of my last shots were touching each other. I would like to change out the scope on it. I bought a Bushnell Banner 6x18x50 over the weekend for my 22-250, if it works out for me I might switch to one of those for the 17.

13. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    if yer usin a .17 its probably a goo idea to use hollow points and not ballistic tips. i have one and at long range the ballistic tip loses a lot of stopping power. but it sure is fun to watch them gophers explode.

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ammo is getting out of hand:crazy::crazy: I am going to have to start reloading my .223 and 7mm mag. The 7mm is just not fun to shoot anymore with $38 a box shells.

15. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    i have taken a few yote's
    head shots with a .22lr if you are under 100yds , they never know what hit them . Not a fur hunter , but why are you taking vital shots on dog with even a .22 mag . Once again Im not a fur hunter but i was allways told to shoot them in the head ?

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

way to go on bagging that coyote:wink::big_smile:!!!!!!

i killed several with a ruger 10/22 LR while out squirel hunting and looking for deer scrapes and sign. but i must admit the 30 round clip helped found some lost some. a 223 is a sweet varmit rifle kinda rough on the squirels tho but the hind legs where still good and didnt have to gut them.:roll_eyes:

17. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Congrats Man....... I have always wanted to hunt coyotes....... I really need to do it.....