First common carp on the fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by AZflats, Sep 18, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    * I have just gotten started with fly fishing.. My main focus is bait for the big flathead cats.
    * Gills are no problem, I use little black ants and have been lighting them up.
    * Carps on the other hand.... Well, I have only been able to catch them with corn rigged up on an ultra light combo... Until now...

~ I got my first common carp on the fly Saturday. Here is what I did..

Chummed a small shallow grassy cove with sweet corn. I tied on a small yellow puff fly, (to resemble a corn kernel) and dipped it in corn scent trout dip bait attractant. Whipped that baby out there and let it settle to the bottom. Took about 5 minutes and the bail was spinning..
    ** I guess this is cheating, but I still caught a carp with a fly rod and a legitimate fly.:cool2:

Attached is a photo.

Attached Files:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congrats on your catch. It's only cheating if you get caught, lol

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Well,
    I got it on the fly rod, to me that is what counts. And as far as I'm concerned, anything pulling back and bending your rod is a good thing...

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thats awesome man, I see bubbles near the bulkhead while fishing the river, so I might try to do that, but I couldn't chum because the current would just take it downriver.:angry:

Also I've thrown over these bubbles with a cast net and come up with a 2 pound carp!